Wet or Dry Food, Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

Is there a type of food that is better for a cat? I know there are better brands, but is wet or dry food better when it comes to cats and nutrition? Cost wise they seem to be about the same. There are definitely more coupons out there for wet food so I have been able to get a good deal on that.

dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2015
  2. dashboardc33

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have always heard and read that both canned and dry foods are nutritionally complete.
    The single biggest difference between the two is moisture content, obviously with canned
    food the moisture content is higher. Many people find dry food to be more convenient,
    and many vets feel that dry food is better for a cat's teeth but canned food helps
    develop strong bones and muscles. I feed my cats both.

Susan Brown, Aug 20, 2015
  3. dashboardc33

Trellum Well-Known Member

I stopped giving my Bob wet food because he started putting on quite a bit weight. Wet food seems to have way more fat than dry food, after all they had to make that food attractive enough for our cats... I only offer my Bob wet food as a treat every once in a while, never too often.

Trellum, Aug 20, 2015
  4. dashboardc33

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

We started feeding one of our cats, Herman, wet food. With her age, it is so much easier for her to eat (with her teeth) and digest. Nowadays she is more active! As I wrote in another post, she even lost weight with her wet food! Hurrah!

I just wish the canned food from the vet was not so expensive. We would switch to that in a heart beat. Alas, we have not made the switch, yet.

Our other cat, Eddie, still eat dry food. She appears to eat and digest it just fine. I suppose it is because she is younger. She continues to be such a rascal!

Herman&Eddie, Sep 3, 2015
Ask a Question