Wet and dry kidney food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by footballtim, Sep 5, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is OK to alternate wet and dry kidney food in my cat's diet.

She seems to like dry treats and other dry food even though she is missing some teeth. I do not want to keep giving her other dry food because it is not good for her kidneys.

I also do not want to spend $26 on a bag of dry kidney food and have her not like it, but I may try anyway.

footballtim, Sep 5, 2012
  2. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Dry Food is not ideal for cats, as the main ingredients are usually Corn, or some sort of Grain, which cats cannot even digest. Cats also tend to suffer from dehydration which is exasperated by dry food. Wet food on the other hand, is much more healthy to cats as it contains more meat, but can also contain grains, and nasty fillers. Wet food in the long run can also be bad for the kitties teeth.

It seems like a loose loose situation, if your cat can tolerate the mix of dry and wet, then go with that. There are several high quality wet foods you can find in your local pet stores for decent prices, my poor cat has IBD so I too am search for a good quality food.

I have heard good things about Felidae about being not only affordable, but very good quality.

Also since your cat has kidney issues, you may want to add extra water into their food. For example, with my guy, I take the wet food out and mix 1 cup of water into it, this way he is getting 1 cup extra water along with his food. Given that the kidneys regulate urine in the body, having extra water to flush out any toxin build up is only going to help your little guy.

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
  3. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Thank you for all that advice. I never thought to put water in her wet food, but she may actually like it better that way. She can be pretty stubborn about eating her food, and I often catch her stealing the other cat's food.

footballtim, Sep 10, 2012
  4. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Mine too! I find it so hard to feed my guy his special food for his IBD, but adding water makes it more of a paste so they can lick it up. He seems to like it more with water, I would make sure you don't always do it, so that it doesnt damage their teeth, but mine love it, and since my cat was throwing up a lot that way I didn't have to worry about him being dehydrated which is very easy in cats. You can check for dehydration by looking at the colour of your cats gums, anything other than a bright pink, is dehydrated.

Scottyxx, Sep 11, 2012
Ask a Question