Wake Up Call

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Herman&Eddie, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I was wondering, do your cat's wake you up every morning. If so, what is their routine. We have two cats in our house. The younger one, Eddie, takes the lead and our older cat, Herman, sits back and watches. I really think that they enjoy this routine. Eddie begins by sitting up at the edge of my bed with a good morning meow. Then, if I do not get up, she swishes her tail in my face. If this does not motivate me to begin my day, she goes to the electrical outlet by my night table and scratches it. Even though I put child safety plugs in all of our outlets, I find this totally dangerous and unnerving, and I jump out of bed.

Herman&Eddie, Mar 29, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Anne Well-Known Member

Those nights when I let him go out and he would not return until morning he always woke me up and asked me to let him in. It was like a grown son who had slept out and then return home in the morning hungry and without his keys. Biggest mistake ever. Too much freedom, too much exposure to danger. Those times he would come in ask for his food ,tell the dogs what he was up to during the night, sleep and spend the entire day with his family.

Before I made that mistake of letting him sleep out, if he did not sleep on the bed, he would first wake up the dogs, then spring on the bed to get me up. He would never allow you to ignore him.

Anne, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

Oh, this reminds me of the days (long ago) when we use to let one of our cats out to prowl at night. In the summer, the kids and I would go spend summers with the grandparents. My husband would be left in charge of our family cat. He would get so frustrated with the cats routine, her name was Camo, taking her sweet time coming home in the morning to eat and take her nap in the comfort of her indoor cat bed. He was like, one of these times, I am going to be late for work. I was like, just go, she will be okay! But being the big cat lover, like the rest of us, he never left, until she came home!

I can just image your cat getting the dogs all wound up for your morning wake up call - lol !!!

Herman&Eddie, Mar 29, 2015
  4. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah!!! Eddie seems to be a really smart cat, smart enough to know that when she does that you will always jump out of the bed! Scary! I wonder how that all started? I mean, she surely tried it one day, then after seeing your reaction she knew that was the way to go with you (to wake you up), hehehe... what a cheeky girl! But yes, I agree with you, that sounds so dangerous!

Trellum, Mar 30, 2015
  5. Herman&Eddie

Oh yes, Eddie is a handful! She likes attention, when she wants it! I am certain the first time she went after an outlet, I screamed in terror. My kids tell me I am quite dramatic. :p I will scan a picture of her later. She looks so innocent most of the time, quite deceiving!:rolleyes:

Herman&Eddie, Mar 30, 2015
  6. Herman&Eddie

Oh that explains it! Lol, cats can be so cheeky! They also have great memory ;) So your Eddie saw this reaction and found a way to use it to wake you up, hehehe! My Bob often tried to make me feel jealous if I failed to pet him when he me to, he'd go out to the neighbor kids and let him pet him. LOL. Cats are very smart.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2015
  7. Herman&Eddie

Cheeky is a good word! I find cats are different compared to dogs because cats want attention on their own terms. If they want attention, they want it. If they do not want attention, they do not want it!

Oh that is so tricky, Bob trying to make YOU feel jealous. :D Going to the neighborhood kids for attention. :) You are right, cats are smart. One of our cats would go to the neighbors house because she knew he had a soft spot for her and feed her tuna. She so DID NOT need to be fed more!

Herman&Eddie, Mar 31, 2015
  8. Herman&Eddie

Oh yeah, cats are very known for ''adopting'' second homes easily, lol. I think my Bob had one as well! By the way, after doing that he didn't come back home until next day! LOL, as a way to punish me for doing whatever I was doing and not paying much attention to him xD Gosh, they're so adorable!! LOL, reminded me of a resented little boy or girl.

Trellum, Apr 1, 2015
  9. Herman&Eddie

This really makes me laugh. Your Bob might of had a little bit of the cartoon character of Garfield the Cat in him? I am wondering, since you are talking in past tense that Bob is no longer with you? If not, I am so sorry, but what fun memories you have about Bob! Are you planning on getting another cat, that is, if you no longer have Bob. When we loose one of our beloved pets, we always get another one. Well, in due time. It is a bit of a grieving process for us... sigh.

Herman&Eddie, Apr 2, 2015
    Trellum likes this.
  10. Herman&Eddie

Oh no, talking in past tense about that because i no longer let him out, there was an incident with a neighbor who poisoned all the cats from the neighborhood because they were messing around his garden. My dad knew the guy and warned me, so I never let Bob out after that! Bob is now an indoors cat now, so he can no longer do the things he used to do, but he has found new ways to tease me, lol.

Trellum, Apr 3, 2015
Ask a Question