Urinary Tract Blockage

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Scottyxx, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

So Bandit just cant catch a break, I thought he was sick again last night from eating the wrong food..nope!

Turns out his urinary tract is blocked and he cant empty his bladder. His bladder is sitting hard and full, this can cause kidney damage after as little as 24 hours.

Needless to say I am in a state, I took him to the vet first thing and she said this is an "Emergency condition", I didn't even have time to think before she whisked him away to get a catheter in to try and remove the fluid build up.

Has anyone got a male cat who has had this condition before?

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent re-occurance of this condition in the future?

I already have him on a specialized diet, and he drinks only filtered water. I mix extra water into his food.

Scottyxx, Mar 26, 2013
  2. Scottyxx

Just off the phone from the vet, they were able to clear his blockage without surgery, but he might have kidney damage - only time will tell.

They say his urinary tract is very grainy which may be coming from the food he has, so we will need to try and find the little soul a new diet. I am just so glad he didn't need surgery!

Scottyxx, Mar 26, 2013
  3. Scottyxx

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, I'm glad he's okay! It sounds like he definitely needs new food. Talk to your vet about what one would be good for him and try to avoid buying from the vet if they offer food because they are EXPENSIVE. Our vet is almost double what we get from the pet store.
    We've had a female cat with problems urinating because of her kidneys but her food helps with that. It's good for Dusty as well because he could be genetically disposed for it from her. One of our male cats, Mac, had kidney stones when he was younger but we've never had a cat have a blockage.
    Let us know how everything goes and what you end up doing! I'm glad Bandit is okay and didn't need surgery, he is a very lucky boy.:D

CinnamonKiss, Mar 27, 2013
  4. Scottyxx

What type of food do you feed your guys to prevent these issues? Mine get a fairly good and wet diet, so its really strange that he has got himself blocked up.

He's still not peeing on his own, but he is awake and eating :D

Scottyxx, Mar 27, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

We order this dry food and it helps a lot because it prevents blockages: http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-cd-multicare-feline-bladder-health-dry.html
    We order some of the moist food in the same prescription and mix it with Sheba or Fancy Feast moist as well. It's worked like a charm, Sassy hasn't had any problems since her first and only time with urinary trouble.
    That's good, he seems to be continuing on with kitty life! After you get him fixed up with proper food he'll be back to normal as far as bathroom usage goes.:p

CinnamonKiss, Mar 28, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

I am really hoping this is it for Bandit, he also has food intolerances so trying to find him the right food that suits both things is going to be had I think!

Thanks for the food suggestion!

Scottyxx, Mar 28, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  7. Scottyxx

So the vet game him Hills W/D for his diet. So far...so good...fingers crossed...

Scottyxx, Apr 1, 2013
Ask a Question