Top 10 Medical Conditions for Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellum, May 29, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

by Jennifer Coates, DVM

Top 10 Medical Conditions for Cats
    Large commercial organizations are a relatively new phenomenon within the veterinary profession. Some people lament the advent of corporate practices and pet health insurance companies, but they do have some unique capabilities. For example, they can quickly compile information taken from very large groups of animals.

Every year, Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) receives thousands upon thousands of reports from across the country about what ailments plague our pets. VPI recently released a list of the top 10 most common medical conditions affecting pets in 2010, according to their records. The results for cats are as follows:

1. Lower urinary tract disease

2. Gastritis/Vomiting

3. Chronic renal failure

4. Hyperthyroidism

5. Diabetes

6. Enteritis/diarrhea

7. Skin allergy

8. Periodontitis/dental disease

9. Ear infection

10. Upper respiratory infection

One thing that struck me about this list is the predominance of diseases that have a strong likelihood of causing cats to leave their owners unwanted "gifts" on the carpet, couch, or bed. The top six slots are all taken up by conditions that have vomiting, diarrhea, and/or urinary dysfunction as primary symptoms. Not too surprising, I suppose. I’m as much to blame as any owner for turning a blind eye towards mild or vague symptoms that aren’t too inconvenient for me. But let me tell you, sticking my bare foot into a slipper containing a cold, congealed mass of hair and partially digested food sure got my immediate attention a few weeks back.

http://www.pet360.com/cat/health/top-10-medical-conditions-for-cats/Aw8z_HT8IkCt8i4mcX2GJg

Trellum, May 29, 2014
Ask a Question