To get rid of cat smell

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by bigpussy, Mar 11, 2010.

1. bigpussy

bigpussy New Member

We've recently closed off our cat flap into our garage as other cats are going in a peeing all over the place. Problem is now out cat cannot get in she's acting weird and a bit lost and in and out of our house and being unsure of herself. Will this stop over time or is se going to carry on for a while. Is there anything we can do to help her settle.

bigpussy, Mar 11, 2010
  2. bigpussy

sofiapertuit New Member

Hi,

I have one cat and it is nice , quite and nougats. odors can be off-putting to you and your guest. Fortunately.Spraying is a cat's way of communicating with other cats to set their boundaries. Cats are territorial animals and it is in their nature to tell other cats which areas belong to them. Cats spray a small yet heavily concentrated mixture of urine and pheromones on areas that belong to them.

sofiapertuit, Jul 1, 2010
  3. bigpussy

christina Active Member

I wonder if that is what my male cat is doing. I just bet he is since I haven't got him fixed yet. I think I will be calling the vet this week.

christina, Mar 25, 2012
  4. bigpussy

steph84 Well-Known Member

I use a warm water and bleach solution to completely get rid of any smells so that territorial cats stay away. Be sure to get your cats fixed and you just have to get your cat in the habit of not going that way and teach her a new way to get in an out of the house. Cats are adaptable if you just teach them with some repetition.

steph84, Mar 27, 2012
  5. bigpussy

kinser Active Member

I would try dousing the area in an enzyme solution that "eats" biological fluids. That's the only thing I know that alleviates the smell from cat urine, so I would imagine it will help with the spray (since it's also urine?) Unfortunately, the smell is very potent and won't go away on it's own, as least for a very, very long time. Even when you can't smell it anymore, your cat probably can.

kinser, Apr 20, 2012
  6. bigpussy

TheBrit Member

Bleach, perfumed if you prefer should do it.
    Some years ago in the UK a company bought out a cat flap that was operated electronically. The cat was fitted with a collar and as it approached the cat flap the collar activated the flap so the cat could open it.

Sorry this seems a bit vague but I never needed one myself. It may be worth making some enquires in the pet stores to see if they are still available.

Would solve the problem of the other cats getting in. Unless of course yours wants a party and holds the flap open for them!! :cool:

TheBrit, May 31, 2013
  7. bigpussy

Jezebella Member

You need an enzyme cleaner,and possibly some feliway to reassign the smell as a positive one in your kitties book. Use a blacklight...cat pee glows. Find all of the spray and spray it with an enzyme cleaner. I think feliway is pretty expensive so you can check and see if that is enough for your cat, it may be. If it isn't consider reassigning the area as well. Good luck

Jezebella, Jul 23, 2013
  8. bigpussy

MER Well-Known Member

When I was researching cat flaps, I found some that are activated by microchips. If you have your cat chipped, it can be programmed to open the flap when they're in proximity. Pretty cool.

MER, Jun 6, 2016
Ask a Question