Tips for Medicating a Cat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My poor little kitty is sick, we think he has IBD so he needs to get 2 pills daily every 12 hours. The problem is trying to give him his pills!

First off, I started by lightly gripping his head and pulling it back to open his mouth, and then push the pills in. Now, he is wriggling about so much I am scared I will hurt him.

His favourite food is cream cheese, so I started coating them in cream cheese, this worked twice but now he just licks the cheese off and leaves the pills!

I am at my wits end! Do any experienced cat owners have any ideas on how to give him his pills?

Thanks!

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
  2. Scottyxx

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

When Leroy had pills and tablets ....we used brake the tablet up into a fine powder and take the powder oout of the pill into something like a bowl would be easyer is had something alot smaller....then put a tiny bit of water into it so it was liquid but not really runny...then I would get a syringe ( sorry about my spelling it's terrible) and put the syringe over it and put it up the syringe then I'd hold Leroy and my partner would syringe it in his mouth.

Leroy and Ava, Sep 22, 2012
  3. Scottyxx

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Giving a cat a pill, is a hazardous experience. Hazardous for you, not so much the cat. Crush the pill up, and sprinkle it on food, or mix it up with something you know they'll go absolutely mental for. Last time I had to do it, I used cream cheese, and it went down just fine. Didn't you mention Pussington liking prawns, or was that someone else?

Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012
  4. Scottyxx

Leroy and Ava Well-Known Member

Leroy loves prawns:)

Leroy and Ava, Sep 22, 2012
  5. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Same here. My cat is pickier, though. I have to buy bagged/canned soft food that has a gravy. If I just sprinkle it onto dry food or that pate type food, she'll starve herself first. She loves gravy, though, so I mix it into that part.

Jessi, Sep 22, 2012
  6. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I did the Cream Cheese technique, worked for 2 days, then he worked out there was something funny with his cream cheese! Ha ha! He's too smart for his own good. He is beginning to realise (or so I think) that the pills help him, so he doesn't struggle as much, I manage to force him to eat it every morning without much fuss!

Scottyxx, Sep 24, 2012
  7. Scottyxx

Vicki65 New Member

Try the pill pocket by Greenies. So far, I has worked for my cat.

Vicki65, Dec 2, 2021
Ask a Question