Time is a healer

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Anne, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

That's proving to be quite true. Yesterday I chatted about Twinkle and it's the first time that I was not moved to tears just talking about him.. I hope I am not being premature but I think I am finally coming to terms with the fact that he is not going to be with me in the flesh any longer.

I met some customers yesterday and I chatted and shared all the beautiful stories I could about Twinkle and his life and death. I might be healing and in some ways I don't know if to be happy or sad..Is that weird?

For those of you who don't know, I lost my Twinkle more than a year ago and I was a total wreck for weeks - months even. I still get a little sad some Sundays which is the day I found him, but I am getting better. Can anyone relate to this?

Anne, Jun 16, 2016
  2. Anne

casey84 Active Member

Oh yes...when my first ever cat passed away (his name was Frank), I was a wreck. I cried more than I ever had, even over a person...I guess part of it was the circumstance, he got hit by a car and it just had me in tears all the time thinking if he had just been inside he would have been fine. My pets ever since have all been indoor pets, since I can't bear the thought of that happening again.

Now though, several years later, I look back more with fondness and memories of the good times than I do that feeling of heartache and guilt. It does take time though like you said. It can be tough when their passing is relatively recent.

casey84, Jun 16, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  3. Anne

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I am so glad to hear that you are finally starting to heal and find some peace. Twinkle would want you to be happy. You will never forget him and he will always have a special place in your heart. You were lucky to have him even though it was not very long. You gave him a good life and he in return showed you so much love. Hugs

Susan Brown, Jun 23, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  4. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

Thank you both. Reading your responses made me a little emotional but I know I'm getting better. @casey84, part of my story had a lot to do with that guilt of allowing Twinkle go outside and beating myself up, blaming myself for his mysterious death where I might never know how he met his death.

All those feelings of me telling myself I should never have given him that freedom that I saw him yearning for. Sometimes when I read here that others let their pets out I want to tell them don't do it, but I also know that because it happened to me it doesn't mean it will happen to others.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Anne, Jun 23, 2016
  5. Anne

Kaybee517 Member

So sorry for your loss of Twinkle. Yes I can relate too! I lost my precious Dusty last year in January and at times I still have crying spells out of nowhere. I've heard sometimes it's when you get emotional that they (our beloved pets) are closest to us in spirit form. You are not the only one. I think it's normal. Also, if you think about it, you spend such a long time with your pet (years) it wouldn't be unusual to get emotional even when time has gone by. My Dusty lived to 13.5 years old. She was about 3 months shy of her 14 birthday when she passed on. I miss her always. I don't think the pain of loss ever goes away. I think over time we learn to deal with it better each passing month/year.

Kaybee517, Jun 23, 2016
  6. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

@Kaybee517 , I am happy your Dusty stayed as long as she did with you. I was not that fortunate. It pains me to say that he was probably only with me for a year and some. I often think that's the saddest part. I often wonder where were the nine lives......That's an interesting theory about them being with us in spirit form.

Anne, Jun 24, 2016
Ask a Question