Thinking of getting a dog to go with my cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by catlover2, Sep 19, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Ok so I thought about getting a dog for myself but am worried about what Petey may think. The next town over has Huskies for sale and they are babies. I think that if I got a baby then it would learn to love the cat because he would not know better. What are your feelings on this?

catlover2, Sep 19, 2010
  2. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

I too would worry about what Petey will think. Has he ever been around dogs before? Would he know how to act? If you do decide to get a dog then by all means get it when it is a baby. You would never want to introduce a full grown dog to your cat or it may be trouble right from the start.

catlover2, Oct 7, 2010
  3. catlover2

diann3tes Member

Adult cats won't really play for your new dog or puppy. Sometimes, they get scared especially if your cat didn't encounter a dog before. Cats also get mad if a dog or puppy gets near them. It is somewhat a defense mechanism to them.

But if you have a kitten for few weeks or months old and a new puppy, they will end up being bestfriends when they grow up. That's what happened to my borfriend's pet while mine is related to the first scenario (first paragraph).

diann3tes, Jan 3, 2011
  4. catlover2

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I think the younger they are, both the cat and dog, the better the chances are they will get along. If you adopt a dog from a shelter they will "kitty test" the dog for you if you ask weather or not the dog gets along with cats but you also have to consider if your cat will get along with the dog, especially if the cat has never been near dogs before.

Micheleteresa, Dec 7, 2011
  5. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If your cat had never ever met a dog before, then there's a chance that if you do it properly, you might get it to live in the same house with a dog. However the chances are very slim. The problem will lie with your cat more than with the new puppy you are thinking of getting.

btw I wouldn't recommend getting the husky puppies. They are not the best breed to put together with cats. If you really must have a dog with your cat, then you might stand a better chance with a Shih Tzu.

Here's how a Shih Tzu puppy looks like:
    [​IMG]

This is how a grown-up Shih Tzu looks like:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
  6. catlover2

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

When we first got our dog, she took one look at the cats and seemed to say, "You smell funny, but you kind of look like dogs. You want to be friends?" They weren't so sure about it, particularly when she invited them to play "chase" by slapping her front paws down on the floor. They ran all right, but rather than circling around, kept right on going.

Now they coexist peacefully, but don't really interact much at all. I think the secret may be that they have enough space to get out of each others' way.

Wallie0921, Dec 8, 2011
Ask a Question