The house cat has flees

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Nov 24, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

I just noticed that my daughters cat has flees, though not many I know they will multiply quickly. What home remedy can I use on her because I don't want to use pesticides because my daughter.

kat74, Nov 24, 2011
  2. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

If you soak some lemons in boiling water overnight that makes an effective natural spray. Salt is good on any carpets and make sure you hoover regularly. Leaving white bowls full of water around can help to attract the fleas and they then drown. Have you truied the flea tablets? They are very effective.

magickat, Nov 25, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. kat74

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Great advice magiKat, I have heard about the lemons working as an effective spray that will not harm the cats but had not known salt can be used on carpets. My kittens are strictly indoor and I have not had any problems with fleas, lucky me. My friend recently tore up all her fairly new carpeting due to a flea problem, the salt may have prevented her from having to do so and I will keep it in mind if it is ever needed in the future.

Micheleteresa, Nov 26, 2011
  4. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I've heard that putting an amethyst stone in your pets water bowl can help prevent fleas as well. Even though there doesn't seem to be any scientific proof, I've read multiple stories online of people who claim it works. It doesn't seem like it could do any damage though, so I think I'm going to try it sometime (with a piece they can't swallow, off course). Something that works wonders with dogs is giving them a bit of garlic in their food. For cats this isn't a good idea because they can get anemic over a long period of time.

Yolanda, Nov 26, 2011
  5. kat74

steph84 Well-Known Member

I had no idea about using lemon juice to get rid of fleas. Thanks so much for the tips! My new indoor kitty got fleas from my older cat and he is too young for the use of flea medication. My vet told me to use a little Listerine on some of my puppies who had fleas. Just don't overdo it on their skin because of the alcohol. I have heard about the bowls of water, but I know I will probably just trip over them and make a mess in my house.

steph84, Nov 26, 2011
Ask a Question