The first time administering insulin to your cat.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I recently found out that my one cat has diabeties. I was scared I wouldn't do it correctly. The first thing that may help is to ask the vet how to do this procedure. I called the vet at home, and she helped me through it nicely. I'm still a little scared. Could anyone tell me the right steps to administering insulin once again to a cat? I did it for the first time this morning on my cat that has diabeties.

Jenny Heart, Apr 24, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I haven't administered any insulin to any of my cats before. However I had tried injecting one of my dogs with an antibiotic preparation. What I did was straddle my dog, facing the back end. Then gripping the flanks of my dog firmly with my knees, administered the injection to its rump. No sure how this technique can be modified for use on a cat.

Victor Leigh, Apr 24, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

magickat Well-Known Member

I assume you have to inject it, like people do? I haven't had to do this, it can be tough enough giving them a pill, so good luck! I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it though and you and your cat will get used to it.

magickat, Apr 26, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think with a cat there's no way to straddle it like I did with my dog. (I would be very worried if my cat is so big that I can straddle it!)

What you can do is to cover the top part of the cat with a thick cloth. Hold it down firmly, pinch up some skin around the rump and inject the insulin. The cloth is to save you from the sharp claws. Pinching up the skin helps to put in the needle without sticking it into any muscles.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
Ask a Question