The difference between a cat person and a dog person

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is something that I saw outlined online on a blog that I read once that I found interesting. It was about the differences between people who have cats and those who have dogs. The blog said that those who have cats tend to want not only a pet that provides companionship, but also someone they can take care of. Where as with dogs again companionship is wanted but also wanting someone that we not only look out for but who will protect us as well.

I guess in some ways this is true, dogs are used more for protection purposes then cats. Cats are more the companions, but I wonder what that makes me. I have two dogs who reside in my back yard, and now five cats who live in my front yard. I guess I'm a mixture of both someone who needs an animal for love and protection but also a pet that I can take care of along with loving. Well, that is if this blog is right about the personalities of these types of pet owners.

pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014
  2. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

I don;t know I agree with your blog. There was a point in time when I might have said I was neither a cat or a dog person. I had been bitten by a dog when I was younger and think I had reservations about getting too close to dogs. As for cats, I had this weird feeling about cats being so eerie and had pretty much decided that I was never going to own one.

Let no one fool you. Your children know how to find your weak spots and before I knew it, I had two inside dogs and later a cat joined us. For a long time all I had was my dogs, not as protectors, but for the pure love and devotion I received from them. When the cat was brought home, in no time he occupied a very special place in my heart. When he died, I felt like something had died in me and months later I still feel the pain of his passing.

I say all that to say, I am both a cat and a dog person. They both touched my heart in a way I never imagined possible!!

Anne, Dec 16, 2014
  3. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, it wasn't actually my blog it was one that I read online at one time that was someone's opinion on this. I thought it was kind of an interesting theory myself. In my home we always seem to have dogs, my father was a dog person. He loved dogs but he hated cats, and therefore my family never had any cats because of this. Now that my father is deceased and although my brothers were never cat fans my sister and I loved cats. We started feeding stray cats in our neighborhood. According to my brother this is where we got in trouble, when you feed them you don't get rid of them. Anyway, one day Pepper came with a group of stray cats that came to our yard and attached herself to us, now we have her and her kittens more or less adopted by our family. Even if my brother wasn't thrilled with the idea at first, he does seem to have come around to accepting the cats, even if he isn't a big cat fan. Took after our father in that regard.

pafjlh, Dec 16, 2014
  4. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

In my case I might have said I was more a dog person, but when the cat came home I found myself gravitating her. Truth be told, I saw my dogs getting just a little jealous. Sometimes I would have to ask myself if it really was me falling for this cat since I swore I was not a cat person.

That cat crept into my life and stole my heart and quickly broke it when he died. These days my girls the dogs keep me sane, but I can never get my Twinkle out of my head. He is one of the reasons I preach NEVER SAY NEVER.

Anne, Dec 17, 2014
  5. pafjlh

PennySafe Member

I am more of a dog person--I like that dogs will express their excitement and will protect you if they have to. However, I have cats because I think they are lower maintenance. All I have to do is feed them and clean their litter box and that's it. Dogs want you to take them outside and walk them everyday. I'm too lazy for all of that.

PennySafe, Dec 23, 2014
  6. pafjlh

doglvr Member

I have been a dog person all my long life and a cat person only a few months. A dog needs you. A cat puts up with you. This is the first time I ever took a few days off without making arrangements for dog care. Cats had no problem and I don't think they even knew I was gone. Dogs feel completely abandoned. I also discovered that dogs adapt to you but cats adapt if they feel like it.

doglvr, Feb 2, 2015
  7. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

This actually made me smile perhaps because of it's accuracy about cats and their indifference AT TIMES. I am still convince my cat loved me or did a really good job of faking it and I just lapped it up when he bothered. Twinkle would as a cat greet me at the door and all those wonderful things, Yet when he was not in the mood I could sing until the cows came home he would not take me on. Most of the times I found it amusing.

Well when it comes to my dogs, you can't ask for any animal more devoted. I like a good mix but until I get over my cat's passing and I am happy with my dogs.

By the way I would never mistake my dog's sex. Up to this day I still sometimes refer to Twinkle as a girl when I type and speak. The cat was actually male which I found out late in the game.

Anne, Feb 2, 2015
  8. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

I've always considered myself a cat person, because I like a pet that can be self sufficient most of the time and doesn't require from me so much attention. I see myself reflected on most cats, because I tend to be a very independent person. I also have two dogs tho, I consider myself a cat person who is open to owning a couple of dogs (mostly destiny). There is no doubt in my mind I actually prefer cats tho...

Trellum, Feb 18, 2015
  9. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awww, every time I read about your beloved Twinkle I feel so sad for you :( I had the same feelings for my first kitty, the first kitty is always so important... hurt so bad when he died! Poor thing!

Trellum, Feb 18, 2015
Ask a Question