The cat can't eat what I eat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mimio, Feb 16, 2015.

1. mimio

mimio Active Member

I know cats couldn't eat chocolate and coffee, and other several kinds of foods. But someone said they even can't eat fish and the leftover food. Why??? I seldom feed my mimio cat food. Basically, she will eat the foods what on my table, and no problems happened! Why some people said it's wrong?

mimio, Feb 16, 2015
  2. mimio

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, my feeling is if you are feeding your cat certain types of human food and your cat is healthy then I don't see the problem. Yes, there are certain vitamins and minerals that are essential to a cats health found in most cat foods, but as I said if you cat doesn't seem to be suffering due to its diet and you have seen a vet who says you cat is healthy then who am I to argue. I do know that some foods that we thought were good for cats such as milk turns out they aren't. I found that one out the hard way, because a few of my cats are lactose intolerant.

pafjlh, Feb 18, 2015
  3. mimio

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, certain foods are a big no no for cats, some veggies for example, if eaten in excess can cause your cat several issues. Like for example onions, cats should never eat onions because they're extremely toxic to cats, just like with chocolate and coffee that can be toxic to their heart and nervous system.

Trellum, Feb 18, 2015
  4. mimio

mimio Active Member

I believe you are the right person for your cats! It's luck that my there was no problem of my cat. It seems that every cat has their own health status, we can not completely negate they can eat human food.

mimio, Mar 2, 2015
  5. mimio

mimio Active Member

Ahhhh, Fortunately I hate onions! I never give my cat chocolate and coffee, thank you for giving the advice. But there are some posts said cats can only eat cat foods and stay away from human foods even like fish, I don't think so!
    Before the emergence of artificial cat food, they had previously been eating fish!

mimio, Mar 2, 2015
  6. mimio

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

hi mimio,
    Cats are a species that biologists categorize as 'obligate carnivores.' This means that they primarily need a meat-based diet. There are some folks who like to do a 'raw meat' diet, for both cats and dogs. I'm not an enthusiast of this feeding approach, because raw food can have E. coli and other harmful bacteria in it. Boiled or steamed meats, fish, chicken, beef, could be used to supplement dry cat food. I find it strange that someone told you not to feed your cat fish!?
    Grains are not particularly good for them, so check the ingredients of commercial cat foods. You will find that cheap cat food has more grains, and by-products than more expensive meat-derived foods. Cheap cat foods also put in fillers like ash, which increases the pH of your cat's urine and eventually causes conditions like crystals in the urine, which can eventually plug a male cat up. So good quality cat-food is essential to your cat's long-term good health. Supplimented with healthy cooked meats.
    k

Kay Dougall, Mar 4, 2015
  7. mimio

Super Petlover Member

I don't know with canned and bagged foods, but I go for natural foods rather than the processed one.. Less expensive and healthy. Anything that the cat is eating, there will be some effects on their being, like humans, it may not show up immediately, but it will definitely show up in the future. I like feeding my Kitty with cooked veggies. Some may be half cooked or baked. Just check with the vets on which veggies are good and which are not supposed to be eaten. Cooked fish and other meats are also ok once in a while but never too much.

Super Petlover, Mar 6, 2015
  8. mimio

Oh yeah, I know what you mean, but I think those people are just alarmists... You see, I think they know what foods cats should never eat, but they say that cats should stay away from human food because they think most cat owners will not inform themselves on what foods are completely forbidden for cats :)

Trellum, Mar 6, 2015
  9. mimio

Anne Well-Known Member

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029

Here is a link I found. When in doubt, I check it out and while sometimes you might get conflicting opinions, there is also consensus on at least a few things. I honestly used to like to give me cat most of everything I was eating and he loved it as well. He would take up a seat at the table with me and it just made me smile. Not my dogs though. They were quite jealous if you ask me.

Anne, Mar 6, 2015
  10. mimio

Hahaahaha! oh my, I just pictured you and your twinkle sitting next to you, in the table! How cute!!! While the doggies were watching you guys, a little jealous, hihihihi! It reminded me of my grandma's dog, how she got jealous if people got too close to grandma :p

Trellum, Mar 8, 2015
  11. mimio

Anne Well-Known Member

It is one of many fond memories he left me. He would hop into the chair and take up position like a family member. At one point I was contemplating getting a special plate and setting it on the table but I know my husband would never have it. Then I also knew my dogs would be so jealous.:)

Anne, Mar 9, 2015
  12. mimio

Hahahaha! OMG!!!!! I'd totally do that too if my Bob was up for it :p You know, if he liked to take a seat and eat from a plate. Hehehehe! My mom would have it. It's nice you have that memory still fresh in your mind :) Memories are as good as the present :) My mom says that remembering is like living it again.

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  13. mimio

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

We feed our four cats on the dining room table. It's the only place where the dog can't sneak the food. I've covered the table with a plastic tablecloth and an old towel. On the rare occasions I need to seat a dinner party, they seem to know better than to jump up in the middle of the baked salmon (at least they wait until after the dinner is over). Cats, some of the things we do for them!

Kay Dougall, Mar 9, 2015
  14. mimio

mimio Active Member

Right!Thanks for these useful advice!

mimio, Mar 24, 2015
  15. mimio

mimio Active Member

Because I must eat meats every meal. So hope it's not too much.:p

mimio, Mar 24, 2015
  16. mimio

mimio Active Member

Nice.
    Some suggestions in this site is quite good.

mimio, Mar 24, 2015
  17. mimio

mimio Active Member

I really envy that your dogs and cats can live together. Mimio always show hostile to dogs.
    In fact, I also want to have a dog!

mimio, Mar 24, 2015
  18. mimio

hunya Member

I'm surprised to hear that. My cat eats the same as what I eat.

hunya, Jul 6, 2015
  19. mimio

mimio Active Member

It should be like this.

mimio, Jul 17, 2015
Ask a Question