Tail Up or Tail Down

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Herman&Eddie, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I am wondering, if anyone else has noticed, their cats tail going up when happy and down when anxious or upset? For example, when it is feeding time, both of our cat's tails go straight up. I take this as a happy mood. Or, when they are told to stop doing a naughty act, like scratching the woodwork, their tail goes way down. Do you think cats communicate with their tails their emotions? Well, I think most of us can not help but notice what happens to their tail when something takes them by surprise or they are in defense mode. lol It always amazes me just how big and puffy their tail can get in just a split second. I think it is similar to when we get goosebumps!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 2, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have noticed Bob's tail goes straight up when he does something he loves, like rubbing his body against my leg, lol. Actualy I found a very interesting cat body language chart:

[​IMG]

I've seen Bob do most of those, lol. The most common is the tail straight up :)

Trellum, Apr 3, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, this chart is spot on! I say watch out when the tail is thrashing about! lol I think this ready to attack mode.

Your Bob just sounds too funny!

Cat's really do communicate with their tails. I really never knew this until my son pointed it out to me.

I think their tails also give them a sense of security and comfort. I love this picture.

It almost looks like this cat is sucking its thumb like a baby! :p

[​IMG]

Anyone ever seen their cat do this?

Herman&Eddie, Apr 4, 2015
    jeskalillis likes this.
  4. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think cats tell us so much, but most of us don't even know what is going on, some years ago I had no idea that cats used their tails that way. But again I was just a teen, hehehe! That's a nice picture by the way, a little cat I had when I was little used to do that, he was the sweetest kitty ever... even more sweet than Bob! Bob is sweet, but NOTHING like that cat!

Trellum, Apr 5, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  5. Herman&Eddie

jeskalillis Active Member

I have seen cats curl up with their tails, it is so cute!

I feel like my cat Bob always has her tail up. She does the tail quivering a lot too, which I think is funny. She will rub up on your legs while shivering her tail. Maybe when she is being cautious or is unsure of her surroundings she will have her tail lowered.

jeskalillis, May 4, 2015
Ask a Question