Suddenly scared of socks?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Scottyxx, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My little weirdo, Pussington has suddenly decided she is dealthy afraid of socks.

She looks at them then circles them, and then pokes them. If the sock gets stuck to her claw, and she pulls it back onto her, she jumps right up in the air.

Her little heart goes like a handbell.

Any idea why she has suddenly decided she is so upset by socks? Or what I can do to make sure she doesn't have a heart attack?

Scottyxx, Feb 27, 2013
  2. Scottyxx

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Maybe something happened to her with socks. Like maybe she was playing with a sock and something crawled out of it and bit her. There was an article in another thread about how cats have long memories and recall bad things that happened to them.

ACSAPA, Feb 27, 2013
  3. Scottyxx

I have no idea! It just suddenly happened about 3 days ago, I have no idea why she is so scared. We are trying to show her that socks are not scary. I usually pick he rub then rub one on her face, so she knows its soft and safe, and she seems fine. Then as soon as she is alone she starts freaking out!

Scottyxx, Feb 27, 2013
  4. Scottyxx

shdws Well-Known Member

You mean like this cat?

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

Yes but more over dramatic, if she touches it and it even moves she is up in the air like that cat! She's crazy she never used to be like this!

Scottyxx, Feb 28, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

She may have just had a bad experience with one. I know that sounds silly, but maybe when she was playing, one got stuck to her claw and 'followed' her and it freaked her out. She'll eventually get over it, or maybe she'll always be a little cautious with them, but I doubt it's a huge deal really. :)

Jessi, Mar 2, 2013
  7. Scottyxx

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

It just sounds like a silly quirk to me! Does she do this will any other piece of clothing or just socks? I wouldn't be overly concerned about it, kitties do things like this all of the time. Just be sure to not torture the cat with socks or something.

blurinoctober, Mar 2, 2013
  8. Scottyxx

Its only socks! Clean or dirty (I thought maybe she was politely trying to tell me my feet smelled bad). I am just worried she will get herself so worked up she'll have a heart attack, or hurt herself. Last night she found a sock on the stairs (my boyfriend the slob..)and it got attached to her claw, she jumped half way up the stairs on one leap to try and avoid it!

Scottyxx, Mar 2, 2013
  9. Scottyxx

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, what some cats do really amuse me. Bob tried to do that once, but he decided it wasn't his thing. He is more interested in hiding and scaring off the dog. Cats are so funny, but some are more sensitive than others, guess the cat in the video didn't like how the sock got stuck in his claw!

Trellum, Apr 29, 2015
Ask a Question