Strange facts about cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A lot of those I knew already, but some of them I didn't. Interesting!

Jessi, Jun 13, 2012
  2. Jessi

Epicfied Well-Known Member

There's definitely a few interesting facts on there.
    The one that surprised me the most but shouldn't have was the sunburn thing.
    I just never think of animals that don't have bare skin getting sunburns.

Epicfied, Jun 14, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think cats are more naturally intuitive to avoiding that in the first place, though, too. It would help explain why they spend so much time in the shade, for example, and it isn't simply about staying a bit cooler maybe.

Jessi, Jun 15, 2012
  4. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

"A cat can jump even 7 times as high as it is tall" - now I know Mitra IS normal :D

But really I can't tell their mood only looking into their eyes. I need a little more.. around eyes as well, I mean, the whole face..

violino, Jun 15, 2012
  5. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing such an interesting list! I had no idea that cats respond better to women than men he he he. :p;) A cat's life also sounds like fun as they get to spend 16-18 hours a day sleeping and another few hours grooming themselves. :D I also hadn't read that cat's can't see under their noses, but it makes a lot of sense now I think about it.

tajnz, Jun 16, 2012
  6. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

But it's like people think that cats can see in the dark. And they can't! They can see when there's just a little light, when it's not possible for us, but in complete darkness they are as blind as we are.

violino, Jun 16, 2012
  7. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! I wonder about the eyes... how does one tell what is the mood of the cat? Something I must Google..

Mystique, Jun 16, 2012
  8. Jessi

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

The eye thing has to do with the dilation of their pupils. Their pupils dilate when they are feeling playful or aggressive or when they are just excited. The eyes aren't going to tell you everything but you can tell that much. Of course if you are looking into their eyes, you are probably pretty close so watch out. You might get swatted in the nose! :D

I hadn't realized that females could get pregnant every 4 months. I figured it was twice a year or so but every 4 months! Poor Mama!

HappyRocinante, Jun 17, 2012
  9. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

The fact that a cat can get pregnant every 4 months is why spaying and neutering are so important. That's 3 litters of kittens a year being born if the owner doesn't get the female cat fixed. When those 3 litters grow up and have their own kittens, that's a LOT of animals.

ACSAPA, Aug 14, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

It really is. That's why the wild cat population is so out of hand. They generally only have 2 litters a year....one in the spring and one in the fall....but still yet, a third is possible and that's a bunch of kittens no matter what. :(

Jessi, Aug 14, 2012
Ask a Question