Story Behind Soldier Napping With Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CinnamonKiss, Feb 3, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

A photo of a soldier napping with a cat went viral and the story behind it was revealed. It's a really sweet story, here is an excerpt along with the viral picture.

I'm glad they decided to keep the kitty, and I hope they allow the soldiers to adopt cats/pets into their units while they're away. Anything that can help boost their moods and give them something to love seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Full article at the source: Life With Cats

CinnamonKiss, Feb 3, 2013
  2. CinnamonKiss

steph84 Well-Known Member

My ex boyfriend's roommate served in Iraq and it is actually quite expensive for the soldiers to bring their companions back home. I can cost up to $5,000 USD to bring them back. Luckily, there are some great organizations that raise money for the soldiers so they can bring them back. My ex's roommate rescued a puppy from Iraq and the dog is so cute and little. She did get a rash when she came back to California. I guess she wasn't used to the climate.

This is their website if anyone is interested in donating. I know they primarily rescue dogs, but have sent cats back as well.

http://www.thepuppyrescuemission.org/

steph84, Feb 4, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Thats so cute, its amazing the love and support animals can bring in awful environments such as a war zone. They truly are remarkable.

Scottyxx, Feb 4, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  4. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Awww!

I'm so glad that the cat is staying with the troops. While I'm sure this particular soldier loves the cat, he's a family cat that should stay there and keep them all company instead.

Jessi, Feb 4, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  5. CinnamonKiss

Wow, that is super expensive!! Lucky that this guy wants the cat to stay with the soldiers though, it will be a bigger help to them than going home with him. Thanks for sharing that website, I'll share it on my own fb and try to donate a small amount every month. Everyone deserves to have their companion come home with them.:)

CinnamonKiss, Feb 4, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oops, I missed that post when I was skimming this thread.

$5,000? That's just crazy! I know it would be expensive to get the plane tickets and vaccines and whatnot. That still seems expensive, though.

Jessi, Feb 4, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  7. CinnamonKiss

shdws Well-Known Member

I know it's a terrible comparison, but prisoners are known to adopt cats as well. Cats can be very good companions in stressful situations.

shdws, Feb 5, 2013
  8. CinnamonKiss

I was unaware of that. I have mixed feelings, because if someone was rightfully accused for a terrible crime, I want them to suffer not having a sweet, furry companion. But, if someone was wrongly accused and that's the only comfort they were allowed I wouldn't want that taken from them.:(

CinnamonKiss, Feb 5, 2013
  9. CinnamonKiss

shdws Well-Known Member

Yes I agree, I have mixed feelings also. The reason they allow the cats to roam the prison yard is because it has been noted that they help reduce violence in inmates.

shdws, Feb 6, 2013
  10. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Yeah my friend who is British emigrated to Canada and it was over 5 grand for him to bring his dog over. Its disgusting! If I ever have to go home (I live in Canada, but I am British) I don't know what I will do with Bandit and Pussington, I cannot imagine having to leave them behind because of money!

Scottyxx, Feb 6, 2013
  11. CinnamonKiss

That's understandable then, as long as they're not getting to keep the in their cells and they're not the ones responsible for taking care of them. Still, I hope there aren't any in prison for animal cruelty and they too are allowed around the cats.

Is that the price just to visit and bring a pet too? I would be really tempted to get around the system by bringing the animal for a visit and then just staying in the country together (obviously I'd have all my legal paperwork to be a citizen, but not the pet). That is a ridiculous amount and I wonder if it's a way to encourage adoptions instead of bringing a pet of your own over.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 6, 2013
Ask a Question