Store-Bought Food, Which Brand Is Best?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kdb890, May 2, 2016.

1. kdb890

kdb890 Member

I'm all for the no grains, real meat kinda food for my cat, but that stuff can be pretty expensive. I usually get Blue Buffalo, which is around $30 for a 12lb bag. However, due to financial problems, I've switched to Meow Mix which is $10 for 16lbs. I feel bad about feeding it to him because it's chocked full of grains and by-products, but my entire life my parents fed their animals foods like that and it never caused them any problems or shortened their lives any. In fact, our dog lived to be 12yo on Purina! So how much of an affect does food with grains and by-products REALLY have on our pets, and which pet foods do you think are the best?

kdb890, May 2, 2016
  2. kdb890

GabbyTheTabby Member

A lot of cats end up with diabetes and other kidney problems because they aren't meant to really process grains, and the cheaper foods aren't balanced with enough high-quality stuff to get them the nutrition they need. A lot of people deal with vomiting cats because of this, too. They eat a lot of cheap food, their body can't use it, so it gets kicked back out.

I would recommend changing your cat's food a few times every year just to avoid her developing allergies.

As far as the best food goes, I recommend Hills Science Diet if you're doing dry food. They have a lot of formulas, they're highly recommended by veterinarians and actual scientists, and while they contain grains and by-products, they're also well balanced and contain a lot of high quality ingredients. You can also bulk buy a huge bag for maybe $40~ that will keep you in food for 2-3 months for a single cat house. Awesome stuff!

A raw diet may also be affordable. We're moving Gabby to one once we're out of this round of Hills.

You'd need to do the math based on prices where you are, what your cat's ideal weight is (most domestics should weigh between 9 and 12 pounds), and consult with a vet over dietary restrictions and the like. In general, though, you figure your cat needs minimal vegetables, and a protein heavy diet (carnivorous predators, cats are). Well where I'm at chicken breast - fresh off the deli - can be acquired for $1.99 a pound (#Kroger!). A typical domestic only needs about 1/2 a cup to 3/4 a cup of food a day (~600 kcals per day for the average cat). So one chicken breast can be ~2.5-3.5 days of food when mixed with the right amount of veggies. That puts you at a healthy raw diet for around $30 a month, give or take.

GabbyTheTabby, May 3, 2016
  3. kdb890

Donna Member

My cat turns up her nose at anything other than Meow Mix. I don't know why, but even the fancy canned stuff doesn't interest her. She's outdoors much of the time and I assume she hunts and eats who-knows-what. She comes in periodically throughout the day to snack.I keep food available 24/7. She's in good weight and health.

Donna, May 9, 2016
    GabbyTheTabby likes this.
  4. kdb890

Trellum Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own version of this ;) But there are some brands that are truly bad for cats, and yes I am talking about big brands like friskies and Purina. My friend's cat actually got a huge kidney and liver problem (as well as diabetes) after years of eating whiskas! I guess it's better to go as natural as possible when it comes to cat food, I am now feeding mine homemade food :)

Trellum, May 22, 2016
  5. kdb890

LoveMyKittys Member

try some Premium Edge Dry Food , I just received 18 pounds for 27 dollars and it"s good food , no grains or by products they have different types of foods for different needs and they also have kitten food you can also try Tiki wet food , you can find them at >>>> https://www.chewy.com/b/cat-325 and they have fast delivery

LoveMyKittys, Nov 11, 2016
Ask a Question