Stopping a cat from running out the house.

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by jacobf5, May 18, 2013.

1. jacobf5

jacobf5 Member

Because my cat is a Bengal, we can't ever let him out the house. Therefore, we have to take extreme caution when opening the front door. He is extremely eager all of the time to get out, as he has done a few times, but he got scared and froze. Does anyone else have to keep their cats inside? How easy is it for you to do?

jacobf5, May 18, 2013
  2. jacobf5

mariposa Well-Known Member

Our cat is strictly indoors, yes. She hasn't shown any desire to run out after all these years, but we always keep it in mind. Not a good thing to get complacent about because that's the time it could happen.

We just make sure we know where she is before opening the doors for any reason. If it's a delivery or something I just explain and say "hold on, have to be sure where the cat is" and they always understand and often say yes, they have cats of their own.

mariposa, May 19, 2013
  3. jacobf5

steph84 Well-Known Member

The key is distraction. I use a laser and make sure my cat is distracted and on the other side of the room so I can slip out. You can use a laser or another toy to get their attention.

steph84, May 20, 2013
  4. jacobf5

catface New Member

I have had a number of problems with one of my own cats who is a regular hairy houdini, and the door is positioned such that I can't keep him away from the general area because it's located very close to the stairwell.

If the door is out of the way from most paths (e.g., 5+ feet away from other hallways, stairs, or doors to other rooms), my recommendation is that you deter him from that general area. You can find various motion-activated alarm systems that spray air or make nose when the cat gets too close, I think it's called "Ssscat!" That'll make the cat avoid the door and a few feet around it.

catface, May 30, 2013
  5. jacobf5

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat doesn't really seem interested in running out but my small, yappy Rat Terrier is always looking for his chance to get away.
    There are 2 small stray dogs that have been roaming around the neighborhood for weeks. That's the Rat Terrier's future if he runs away. It's weird that dogs and cats are perfectly willing to leave a home where they are being fed and cared for and become strays.

ACSAPA, May 31, 2013
  6. jacobf5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Pussington is exactly the same, she will even go up and start pawing the door and crying. You put on your shoes, and she runs to the door, you say "outside" she runs to the door. She is one desperate little cookie. What I do is let her out on a leash whenever I am working outside, then she can be outside safely. This helps her calm down, because she knows she will get out eventually. I also always get ready inside, then once she runs to the door, pick her up and toss her onto the couch, or put her on the window sill. Once she is looking outside she wont notice me slip out.

Whenever people come over, I always warn them about her, so they door is a quick in / out scenario, or if people are dilly dallying I grab her.

Scottyxx, May 31, 2013
  7. jacobf5

jules Active Member

My cat also doesn't show much interest in going out of the house unless he sees birds but even then, he goes out for about 5 steps and gets back into the house promptly. I haven't had to worry about him running away yet.

jules, Jun 5, 2013
  8. jacobf5

Epicfied Well-Known Member

Neko has recently shown a lot of interest of going outside lately because we have an outside kitty.
    We just make sure we know where she is before we open the front or the back door.

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
  9. jacobf5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

If anyone ever comes to my door with a package or to preach the good name of the lord. I always sneak out, and close the door, and conduct my business on the front step rather than over the threshold. It is an easy change, once you know to expect it.

Scottyxx, Jun 6, 2013
  10. jacobf5

Jezebella Member

Have you considered putting a condo or shelf in the window so that your cat can look out? Maybe it would relieve some of those longings in your cat? Other than that the lazer pointer idea is a really good one. You could put it on a little hook near your door and use it every time you go out the door.

Jezebella, Jun 25, 2013
Ask a Question