Soft Claws

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by blurinoctober, Dec 16, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Have any of you tried these things? My roommate wants me to get some for our cats, as they have a tendency to scratch us up, but I'm not sure if they're the best things to give them. I admit they are better than declawing, but do they stay on? Do they annoy or harm the cat?

blurinoctober, Dec 16, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have heard some good things about them, but haven't tried them myself.

They do stay on for the most part. You have to glue them on, so make sure you don't use too much and try to avoid getting it on their fur. It can be difficult to get them on if your cat is very squirmy and doesn't want you to mess with his/her feet.

Jessi, Dec 17, 2012
  3. blurinoctober

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. So Alice will be fine with me putting them on her, but Sibyl might be a different story. We shall see! I believe those two may be finding some soft claws in their Christmas stocking..

blurinoctober, Dec 17, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I commented on another thread about this, I bought these for my cats. It was easy to put them on, and the cats never minded them, but the problem was that my cats claws were long and sharp that they just cut right through the soft paws in a matter of days :(

Scottyxx, Dec 17, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

Thanks for the knowledge! If I do put them on my cats, I'll try to trim their nails a bit first to see if that avoids cutting them up so quickly. They may not even allow me to trim their nails, but I can try!

blurinoctober, Dec 18, 2012
  6. blurinoctober

I didnt use the glue the first time, and they stayed on well. The cat was neither up nor down with them, the only problem was the sharpness of the nails.

Scottyxx, Dec 19, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  7. blurinoctober

CatFour Active Member

Thanks for the info, I have been tempted to buy these, but wasn't sure if they really worked and didn't want to spend money on them if they didn't. They look like they would work, but I was just concerned about the cats trying to chew them off or if the glue didn't stick very good and they fell off. I may give them a try and see.

CatFour, May 5, 2013
  8. blurinoctober

mariposa Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of this product before but from what I've read here, it sounds like an interesting thing to try. Since they get attached with glue, how do they come back off without hurting the paws? Or are they meant to stay permanently attached?

mariposa, May 5, 2013
  9. blurinoctober

I put mine on without glue, and they stayed on fine litter trips and all. I thought the glue might be too messy. Mine were a tight fit! They are supposed to fall off naturally when the cats shed their claws. For me, I ended up taking mine off as they actually did no good. My cats claws were so sharp they just cut right though the soft claws.

My cats are finally in controll of their claws now, so they no longer get caught in screen doors, or scratch me - something I am so thankful for!

Scottyxx, May 6, 2013
  10. blurinoctober

mariposa Well-Known Member

Thank you, Scottyxx... I know know that I have to try these, especially if I don't have to mess with the glue. Did your cat try to remove them by chewing on them or in another way? I can *so* see our girl sitting there trying to get them off. :)

mariposa, May 6, 2013
  11. blurinoctober

My cats never chewed or pulled at them at all, they are just tiny little plastic things, I doubt if the cat did chew them that they would do much damage!

Scottyxx, May 8, 2013
  12. blurinoctober

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I've never see, heard of, much less used these.

I think it'd be a nice alternative to declawing but you'd have to be careful with the application.

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
  13. blurinoctober

Application is pretty easy, you just need to make sure you press the claws out on the paws and fit them on properly. I guess if you have an over excited, or fidgety kitty, it might be a bit of a danger!

Scottyxx, Jun 6, 2013
Ask a Question