Smells they don't like

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, May 26, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

We have....a strange cat. Most cats aren't going to like strong smells like chemicals sprays and whatnot, but this cat....well, freaks out a little and starts going nuts over completely innocent smells.

Mint, for example. She'll dig and dig at gum or peppermint soap in a bag. Citrus. Bring an orange anywhere near her and it's like you've put out catnip. She doesn't -hate- it...she just obsessively smells and paws at the strong scents. And using bleach? We have to keep her out of any area where it is because well, to put it as PG as I can, it causes her to be quite "trippy."

Do your cats have any particular smells they hate or that makes them more curious than usual?

[​IMG]

Jessi, May 26, 2012
  2. Jessi

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

My cat Mouth has a very sensitive nose and also doesn't like strong smells. He really dislikes mint smells. He is the one who won't let me hide medicine in his food. :rolleyes: He doesn't go nuts like your cat he just goes away fast. However, I have a lotion I put on my face for discolorations that they both go crazy for. The first time I put it on Ninja was trying to bite my face! I quickly learned to only put it on before going to bed. :)

As far as cat nip is concerned, well they will both rub on it a little but Mouth doesn't go crazy like Ninja does.

HappyRocinante, May 26, 2012
  3. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

All my cats have loved the smell of vanilla (icescreams mostly). And they hate lemons and oranges, they just run away as far as they can. They smell it from a few meters and run away with disgusted expression on faces ;)

violino, May 27, 2012
  4. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

One of my cats in the past hated citrus fruits. I enjoyed teasing her, so I would cut a lemon or orange, and leave it near her. She would sniff then made the F*** NO! face and then, she would attack it! I wish I had recorded those moments. It was pretty hilarious (and mean, of me!).

Mystique, May 27, 2012
  5. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My one cat seems to hate the fragrance of perfumes. He'll leave the room shortly after I use it. He will also develop respiratory issues, so I've learned that he comes first and wearing perfumes comes last. Cats I guess are like us humans. Then tend to enjoy some fragrances, and others they shy away from.

Jenny Heart, May 27, 2012
  6. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, I forgot of this :D My cats look disgusted every time I'm about to use them :D They can be away from me but they KNOW that will smell weird so they are sort of prepared for it and they watch me carefully in order to run away if I move to close to them :D

violino, May 28, 2012
  7. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

My cat Gemma enjoys licking toothpaste out of the top of our tootpaste tube. Hopefully she'll like getting her teeth brushed along with it.

MER, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Jessi

Eaow Well-Known Member

My cat cannot seem to stand the smell of my shampoo. Each time I get out of the bathroom she bouts off running with such a funny look on her face. I can't help but laugh at that even though I feel sorry for her.

Eaow, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Jessi

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My cat Harley is funny. Every time we are eating something he wants to come over and see what is on the plate.
    I think he may be scared that he is missing out on something good. lol So he will come up to the edge of the plate
    and take and smell and it never misses every time he does it he gags. It doesn't stop him though because he does
    it every single time. lol

Susan Brown, Sep 2, 2015
  10. Jessi

Eaow Well-Known Member

I have seen my cat do that too. Cutie paws likes to smell food at the table whenever he sees it. Not that he is hungry or anything but I think it is more out of curiousity. I have long since got used to the peculiar habit.

Eaow, Sep 2, 2015
  11. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

My cats like to see what's being served. What ever meal, they want to see what we're eating. I've found out what they like and dislike. Rosco likes liver, eggs, corn- bread, and chicken. Gemma likes lemons, toast, and dried cranberries. Surprised? Read the lables on your catfood and see the similarities.

MER, Oct 1, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  12. Jessi

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Merle likes to check out our plates and see what we are having. You have to watch him though because
    he will come right up and help himself. It is too cute though.

Susan Brown, Oct 5, 2015
Ask a Question