Sleeping with your cat?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by HappyRocinante, May 16, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

This does bring up an interesting point, I do wonder do cats have as much a problem with being caged? I would guess they would be far more upset and would retaliate more so than most other animals. I could be wrong however, because perhaps it is just a matter of training. Cats can be harder to train, albeit this does not mean impossible. Has anyone done this and trained their cats to be okay with some time in a personal play pen?

QuatreHiead, Jul 11, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen quite a few cats which lived in cages. The oddest was one made by a woman who had a few Persians. She was not at home most of the day. So she built a main cage which had a caged runway that went along the wall around her garden. Some parts of the runway went under some trees. So her Persians didn't feel, in the least, like being caged at all.

Victor Leigh, Jul 12, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

I suppose that is one solution, if they feel like they are at home, although technically caged I suppose it isn't so bad at all. In a way no different from them being trapped inside the house most of the time for safety reason, in which case the house is a big cage. It's also not as though you couldn't chose to let them out to roam other places some of the time to get a bit of new scenery. I have a friend who would let their cats outside to roam a bit every once and a while. They of course kept an eye on them in case they bolted or attacked something dangerous.

QuatreHiead, Jul 13, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

I think it depends on the cat breed, too. Persians live a very sedentary life. Their main occupation is just to sit there and look pretty. They don't even know how to catch mice.

Victor Leigh, Jul 13, 2012
  5. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

Really? I though is't an instinct, and all cats have this urge to catch the small flying or running things. Alive or not...
    I wonder if a persian brought up by a stray cat wouldn't know how to catch a mouse too.

violino, Jul 13, 2012
  6. HappyRocinante

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I've always let the past cats that I've had sleep on the bed, but my current cat Dolores is a grouch and we're on different sleeping schedules so I currently don't get to enjoy cuddling up to a cat at night. I actually kind of miss it.

ACSAPA, Jul 13, 2012
  7. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

I would say that persians would still know how to catch mice and such. They may not do it frequently or anything, but persian kittens are playful just like any other cats, so I'd imagine a lot of the instincts are there, too.

Jessi, Jul 13, 2012
  8. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

I've never had Persian, let alone mice so I have no idea ;) But noone would take a Persian if they need to get rid of mice, I think, so maybe this is where this opinion came from.

violino, Jul 15, 2012
  9. HappyRocinante

I find that surprising as well. I figure like anything else they just have a different personality a lot of the time. I can't think of anything genetically different that would make Persians predisposed to not being as active or playful. Perhaps it is just something that happens to occur most of the time coincidentally?

QuatreHiead, Jul 15, 2012
  10. HappyRocinante

True, Persian kittens are just as frisky as any other breeds. However as they grow up, they become sedately. Of course, no one buys a Persian to catch mice.

Victor Leigh, Jul 15, 2012
  11. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I found a solution for anybody who has issues just with the scratching at the door part of the problem. It still won't solve the meowing bit, but this at least pushes the cat back away from the door, haha.

Jessi, Jul 16, 2012
  12. HappyRocinante

Mystique Well-Known Member

I had a few Persians cats at different ages of my life and they were lazy as hell. They were beautiful, no doubt, but one would not even budge to play with strings or the marble. He would just stare at the marble as it rolled by. Two other Persians were slightly more active, but I could tell that they would rather lounge around and look good than to move their butts. They were lovely cats, nonetheless and I missed them dearly, as they died from some type of a disease.

Zopie sleeps with me all the time. Beside me, at the foot of the bed, on my partner's feet, or sometimes, in between us. He loves to cuddle and now that he's the only cat in the house, he has become an attention seeker :D Every time I write about him, he stares at me.. as if he knows I'm talking about him! That said, I gotta give him some love now!

Mystique, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question