Should You Own More Than One Cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellum, May 29, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

By Dr. Marty Becker | vetstreet.com

[​IMG]

There's something so soothing about cats. I don't know if it's the purr or the fur, but I just love being around them. I know lots of my clients feel that way, too. And if one cat is good, two - or more - must be even better. Right?
    Well, your cat has his own opinion on that matter, and it might not be what you think it is. Way before iconic film star Greta Garbo made the phrase famous, cats were expressing her signature sentiment: "I want to be alone."

We are social animals, so it just seems natural to us that our cats would enjoy having companions, too. With few exceptions, though, wild and domestic cats lead mostly solitary lives. They can get along in groups, but given their druthers, they don't seek out buddies. Before you decide to add a second cat to your family, ask yourself if your cat really needs a friend - and if you are prepared to meet the needs of a multicat household.

Making the Decision
    There are two important things to consider before adding a second cat to your family: your current cat's age and his personality. People often ask me if they should get a kitten to help liven up their older cat. That's probably a senior cat's worst nightmare: his peaceful existence shattered by the antics of a wee ball of energy.

A young or middle-aged cat may be more receptive than an elderly cat to the presence of a kitten or even another adult cat - but it's important to consider your original cat's purr-sonality when choosing a new cat of any age. A shy cat could be overwhelmed by a bossy cat, while a bossy cat may be likely to bully a shy cat. If you do add to your feline family, choose a cat who seems outgoing but not over the top.

Read the rest here: https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/own-more-one-cat-131000675.html

Trellum, May 29, 2014
  2. Trellum

Cindy New Member

One thing I realized is that the more you have, there is that day when your baby will go to the Rainbow Bridge...I am in that spot right now. I hav 7 cats 6 are Maine Coons and one is very sick, vet took blood but without extensive expensive tests I won't know. Unfortunately can't afford the test and my guy is 12. I am heartbroken and this isn't the first time.

Cindy, Jul 15, 2014
  3. Trellum

Becky Well-Known Member

Aw really sorry to hear one of your cats is so sick :( What are the symptoms?

Becky, Jul 15, 2014
  4. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

This is such an interesting topic. Recently I was reading of someone who had something like 10 or so cats. The problem was that the neighbor has some issues with the strong urine odor that was affecting him and guest from time to time. Maintaining good sanitary conditions for some might be a stretch when they have so many cats to take care of it seems.

Sometimes I think well meaning individuals in their effort to save as many as they can take on too much responsibility by owning too many cats. The opening post is new information to me and now has me looking at the whole question in a completely different light.

I lost my cat a few months ago and was crushed. I still get very sad sometimes. As much as I loved him, I feel it's going to take me a while before I can own one again. For one thing, I think he was a one of kind and besides that I am afraid to get so attached again. It really broke my heart when he died. Maybe I am being selfish but I don't want to feel that pain again.

I pray Cindy's little one is doing better and applaud her for taking care of so many. I know I couldn't adequately care for more than one should I decide to get another. I already have three dogs.

Anne, Dec 3, 2014
Ask a Question