Should cats wear collars in the house?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I honestly feel that cats should wear collars in the house. If cats accidentally got out of the house, they may never be found, unless they have their collars on them. Cats that wear their collars will keep their owners feeling safe and sound. Safe and sound cats will help keep everyone happy, for years to come.

Jenny Heart, Jun 1, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I agree with you.. unfortunately my cat will not wear a collar. She scratches her neck until it is raw and missing fur when I put a collar on her. I have decided I will get her chipped in case she gets out.

Belligerent, Jun 1, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I agree with you but have never used a collar on my indoor cats. They don't like them to start with and the little jingling sound of the tags drives me crazy! I haven't had any of my kitties escape the house yet so I will just have to keep up the diligent watching. Ninja is the escape artist attempter of the household but luckily he isn't very fast. :D

HappyRocinante, Jun 2, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

But, he's Ninja - he should be fast! :p

I had cats with collars before but like Belligerent's cats, my cats didn't like the collars. I think only three wore the collars without any problem... and they were flea collars :D As for the current cats, they don't use any.

Mystique, Jun 3, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

:D He was improperly named. LOL! He was always a little clumsy but when he got his full growth is was just crazy. He makes a thump sound when he jumps off something. He can't jump as high as his brother and his eye paw coordination is seriously lacking. I don't think I would call him a hunter, poor Ninja.

HappyRocinante, Jun 3, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

Lol - you know, he still sounds so adorable! The name fits, somehow or for all you know, he'll start showing his ninja side soon!

Funnily enough, my MIL called me this morning to ask if I wanted some collars for the cats, as she had to pick some stuff up at the vet. Apparently, they were half-priced. Considering that I'm planning to plant chips in Snowy and Azzario, I told her that I'll pass. I reckon chips alone would be enough!

Mystique, Jun 3, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

I used to have a collar for my kitten with a bell on it just because he would hide and no one could find him. Plus sometimes he got stuck under the couch or between the couch and the wall so it was best if he had one on so we could easily know where he was and if he was stuck help him get unstuck.

Though I think that if you have an inside cat and it never goes outside and it doesn't usually hide or get stuck in random places then it's not necessary to have one. But it's not bad to have one either.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 4, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Rasputin Member

If my cat, future cat that is, were an outdoor cat then I would definitely have her wear a collar but I don't know about an indoor one. You make a good point about what if they get out but I'll think about that more when I have mah kitteh.

Rasputin, Jun 8, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

tajnz Well-Known Member

I agree, ideally cats should wear their collars indoors in case they get out and need to be identified. However if a cat is really averse to wearing a collar and keeps trying to get it off I'd perhaps leave it off. I don't feel right forcing an animal to do anything.

tajnz, Jun 8, 2012
  10. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I agree, but I don't necessarily practice what I preach either, heh. I used to have her wear a flea collar and would have her tag on that. Other times, she did have a regular collar, too, but somewhere along the lines, we stopped using one. I don't even know why or what happened to the last one (maybe it broke?), but I haven't thought about it in a long time.

Jessi, Jun 8, 2012
Ask a Question