Should cats sleep most of the day?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, May 16, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I've found out that when someone's cat has been sleeping most of the day everyday, that they maybe suffering from physical illnesses. My one cat started sleeping most of the day. When we took him to the vet, he went to do a blood test, and he had a heart attack in his office. His health wasn't good, and then he got stressed during the test, and had a heart attack. Always observe your cats, and take them to the vet, as soon as you notice a change in behavior.

Jenny Heart, May 16, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think it really depends, though. Like you said, if there's a CHANGE in behavior, then it could certainly mean something is wrong. Personally, one of my cats sleeps most of the day and it's been like that for the last 10+ years, ha. She's fine...she's just a cat. And yep, after the kitten stage, they tend to sleep a lot, hehe.

Jessi, May 16, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

violino Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I thought when I read Jenny.
    My cats can sleep almost all day long - and night I suppose (I'm not sure as I usually sleep during night ;) ). They have days when they are more or less active but I guess it's like with us - I can sleep the whole day sometimes as well ;)

violino, May 16, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

I think it's alright for cats to sleep most of the day. I had Persian cats before and they were lazy, all they do was sleep :D The rest of the other breeds were a lot more active, so they were usually out and about. I think it's fairly normal for some cats to sleep... unless, as Jessi said, there is a change in its behaviour, which normally says a lot about the cat. Snowy and Azzario are usually up when I am up, which is pretty much long hours of the day, as I think it's unhealthy for us to sleep the entire day.

Mystique, May 17, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I agree with a couple of the other posters. My cat is grouchy and lazy and has been ,since forever. So it's not unusual for to sleep a lot, wake up and demand food, then look slightly annoyed as I pet her and walk away with her butt at eye level. (Not sure why cat butts are always at eye level.)

ACSAPA, Jul 28, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Cats don't really sleep the whole day long. What they are actually doing is cat-nap which is just shutting their eye to conserve energy. I read somewhere that this is a characteristic of cat behavior. Myself, I observe the eating and defecating habits of my cats to get an indication of their health.

Victor Leigh, Jul 30, 2012
Ask a Question