Seriously What is Wrong with a Black Cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Feb 18, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Someone else had wrote about this awhile back but I had an incident not that long ago with my black cat that made me mad. We feed our cats out in the front yard, there are times when kids passing by on the street admire the cats. One day last week some kids were walking by our house when we were out feeding our cats and were saying look at the cats. But one kid made a comment in a sour tone, yes but one of them is black.

Say what!. I know there is that superstition about black cats. But its a myth, an urban legend, surrounding Halloween for crying out loud. Real black cats aren't unlucky and they are associtated with witches or goblins. They are another breed of cats, and can be just as loving as other cats. They are also quite beautiful. Salem my black cat certainly is, he has a beautiful shiney coat along with deep green eys that he got from his mother Pepper. He is also the sweetest little cat. How can anyone put a stigma on this cat or any other black cat is beyond my comprehension.

pafjlh, Feb 18, 2015
  2. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'd not take it too personally if I were you, after all the comment was made by a kid :p Sometimes children hear their parents say certain things, they then make wrong assumptions (sometimes they say it as the parents did tho) and that is how you get to hear that kind of comments.

Trellum, Feb 18, 2015
  3. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

I am there with you on this. I say shake if off. It's a child and I was that child some time ago , except that I would never do the sour tone thing. If I am being completely honest I still have a little "something" about black cats and maybe it has everything to do with the media and how they have been portrayed in movies etc. Then there are the "old UNWISE tales" some of us were told as kids.

Thanks to forums like this I have been able to open up more to black cats. It took me a long time to get here so I am sympathetic to people because of "their ignorance". In time we sometimes come around.

Anne, Feb 18, 2015
  4. pafjlh

Hi Anne! Feeling better? I hope so! I must say I'd have never done that as well, maybe just say that as a kid, but not sure about that tone! Nothing wrong with the color black, but I read a while ago that people perceived black dogs as more intimidating than the dogs that sported a different color. Isn't that odd? I think we did the same with cats.... but in the movies. Nothing scares me about black cats :) They look like tiny panthers!!!!

Trellum, Mar 6, 2015
  5. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

Today is one of those days I could do with my cat hanging out with me. Anyway, I have my dogs. I am thankful. All the black cat talk has me wondering about some I saw out some months back. I feel like I should go seek them out. They looked like strays and it's probably the first time I came so close to black cats. About six or so and I must confess, they were a joy to watch. Still don't think I am bring one home with me but who knows;).

Anne, Mar 6, 2015
  6. pafjlh

Wow, 6 black cats? That sounds really interesting, have never seen that many black cats together, hehehe! I hope you find them :) Who knows, maybe soon you'll be back here telling us you have found a little kitty whom you love very much!

Trellum, Mar 8, 2015
  7. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have never seen a group of black cats together either. I have only seen an occausinal black cat in my neighborhood. Then there are of course the ones that came into my yard, the original Salem who we suspect died in the extreme Arizona heat, we couldn't take her in at that time. Now Pepper's kitten Salem and like a said a very sweet little cat. But I gues I can't be too upset with this kid. Come to think of it when I was a kid I had the same kind of phobia about black cats. We hear those stories and those superstitiions pertaining to them. Its adults that I think bother me the most with it, even if we still think about these things we should know better. These are just another type of cat, regardless of their color.

pafjlh, Mar 8, 2015
Ask a Question