Seeing Eye-Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CinnamonKiss, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

A sweet news story popped up on facebook and I wanted to share it with you guys! It's about a stray cat who came to live with a family with a blind dog. The cat became the dogs companions and takes him out to the garden and guides him around. It's sweet, I teared up reading. I hope you guys like it too!
    Full Story + Short Video Clip
    Who says cats and dogs are enemies?! I refuse to believe it :) I know dogs are often guides/helpers to people but does anyone know of cats being guides/helpers to other humans or pets?

CinnamonKiss, Jan 10, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  2. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Thats too sweet. I think so many people overlook how loyal and intelligent cats are! I often think my cats would do something like this, they are so smart! Pussington will talk now if you let her. I always say "Pussington, do you want some food?" and she jumps up and meows like crazy!!

I asked the st johns ambulance about my cats, because they often take dogs to sick people to allow them to feel better, but they said cats are not allowed, which is so sad! A cuddle from my cats would solve everything!

Scottyxx, Jan 11, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

Cats are very loyal! They act aloof and like they don't care, but they know we're important to them. Awwwww, she found her voice? That's great, it's so cute when they talk to us.:p Her actions are adorable, so excited!!

Yeah, a hospital a town over brings in dogs for sick people but no kitties unfortunately.:( There was an article about Newtown, CT allowing cat therapy. They did it for the kids and especially the kids affected by the tragedy. A cuddle from the more sociable cats would be quite lovely and I'm sure the cats would love the attention :)

CinnamonKiss, Jan 12, 2013
  4. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

It seems kind of biased that cats are not allowed to have that job. Many cats are sweet and some people like cats better than dogs! Hmph.

Back to the main thread: I've never encountered a cat being a guide like that, not ever! I know they're intelligent enough for that, but my cats are much too stubborn or selfish, hah. That's a really cute story to hear! Cats are very useful, even to dogs! This one must not have ever been mean to the kitty x]

blurinoctober, Jan 13, 2013
  5. CinnamonKiss

It is biased.:( Some people are scared of dogs, so why not have therapy cats for that reason, too!

Ha, I think most cats are pretty stubborn! I would bet this cat just had a kind heart and the dog is probably happy to have a helpful friend:) I wonder if the dog knew much about cats before it came along. Aw, it means the dog had a good experience though! And the owner did as well.:D

CinnamonKiss, Jan 13, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

I agree! I've heard of far more people being scared of dogs than cats. Stupid system! -shakes head-

blurinoctober, Jan 14, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I am more scared of dogs than cats, I just worry because dogs are so big and loud if something went wrong and they decided for whatever reason, that they don't like you, you don't really stand a chance.

Scottyxx, Jan 15, 2013
  8. CinnamonKiss

That's a valid point. But, from the other side, cats could do the same thing. Cats can be just as vicious as dogs. I think if any animal is going to be employed in that way, you just need to be 110% sure of it's temperament. It has to be able to not snap around absolutely everybody.

blurinoctober, Jan 16, 2013
  9. CinnamonKiss

I agree, cats can be just as vicious and all temperaments should be checked. Cat aggressiveness is not commonly reported, so people think better of cats in that respect. But it's still unfair to not offer alternatives for people with pet-specific fears. And who knows, with patience maybe they could overcome that fear in therapy!

CinnamonKiss, Jan 16, 2013
    blurinoctober likes this.
  10. CinnamonKiss

They do have therapy for pet fears. If people are scared of certain types of animal, professionals will work with them, then slowly introduce them to the animal. I'm sure it's done for cats, as that's an animal a fear of is not good in our society.

blurinoctober, Jan 17, 2013
  11. CinnamonKiss

Makes sense and it's a good thing they do. Cats and dogs are both on the street sometimes and it would be really bad for them to run into what they're afraid of. I mean, people take theirs pets in public too like parks,parades, and I've seen them bring them to car shows. It would be a pain to avoid places just because people take their pets.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 17, 2013
    blurinoctober likes this.
  12. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing the video. It's really sweet the way the cat kind of gently nudges the dog and shows him where to go. I wonder how the cat knows the dog can't see. Animals really are amazing.

ACSAPA, Jan 20, 2013
  13. CinnamonKiss

It's pretty inspiring! I wonder if they have some kind of silent communication, much like cats do to other cats.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 21, 2013
Ask a Question