Sasha is back from the vet's

Discussion in 'Meet My Cat' started by Kay Dougall, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Kay Dougall

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Our newest kitten, Sasha was just spayed this week, and is back from the vet's. She is about 9 months old, but she is SO tiny that we were worried that there might be complications with the surgery. They kept her overnight, and wow, was she ticked at us when we picked her up. But I think she's forgiven us and is super cuddly again. We really didn't want a fourth cat, but we just love her. I'd like to send photos, but after owning black cats my whole life, I haven't yet figured out how to photograph them. If anyone has some suggestions, I'd like to hear.

Kay Dougall, Nov 19, 2014
  2. Kay Dougall

ADPainter New Member

I try to always take pictures of black cats in natural sunlight, when at all possible. This is when you find out that "black" cats usually aren't! <lol> Black cats are black, brown, sable, striped, blue, green, and grey in the sunlight.

Natural light like near a window truly is best for taking pictures of black cats though. Flash doesn't seem to do it, nor does lamplight. I would love to see pictures of your kitty!

ADPainter, Nov 20, 2014
  3. Kay Dougall

Anne Well-Known Member

This is quite an interesting read. I never even knew that there was a way to take photos of a black cat as compared with any other cat. I am also curious about how a cat is affected when it is spayed. I never had any of my animals fixed.

Anne, Mar 10, 2015
  4. Kay Dougall

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi Anne,
    As an animal rescue worker, I see way too many unwanted cats and dogs destroyed at kill shelters because we have a pet overpopulation problem in the US, (but it's pretty much a global problem). The best course of action is to convince people to spay their females and neuter males. Here in Boise, Idaho where I live, they will not adopt out a young cat if it is not fixed. They spay them at the shelter. That is pretty much the policy of all shelters, for both cats and dogs. It is expensive, but it is a one-time cost. Our Sasha, a street kitten, was in heat when we rescued her. She was howling constantly, rolling around and extra-friendly, typical behavior. When you spay a female, all of the cyclical 'in heat' behavior goes away. I never want to go through another female in heat. They do not stop crying for 2-3 weeks. If you have cats that are indoor-outdoor, its a good idea of fix them so they don't have litters of kittens or get females pregnant. Males who are neutered don't roam as widely as unfixed toms. When you fix them, they usually stay at the vet's for a day, sometimes overnight. They need several days of resting at home before they roam around again. Good luck keeping a fixed cat from jumping up on things, though. They do it no matter how careful you are. You can find more info on the internet.

Kay Dougall, Mar 10, 2015
  5. Kay Dougall

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi there Kay! I own a completely black cat!! I always photograph him when he is standing on lying on something that is lighter than him in color. No problems. I used to be able to take pics of him more easily when he used to be an outdoors cat, he loved to lie on a tree branch... I got a lot wonderful pics from that time :)

Trellum, Mar 29, 2015
Ask a Question