Reducing the overly meaty smell from cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scottyxx, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

So I recently changed foods so my Bandit Cat wouldn't die. The food now is so meaty smelling it makes me feel sick. Does anyone have any tips, even if it is just an odor absorbed recommendation, to reduce the horrible meaty smell in my kitchen?

Scottyxx, Apr 4, 2013
  2. Scottyxx

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

One of the best things you can do is to research making cat food yourself. I know this sounds like it would be worse, but honestly it's better for everyone involved. Commercial cat food is a dumping ground for all sorts of unpleasant things, such as ash and is comprised mainly of organ meats. This second example is most likely the reason for your "meaty" smell. I will tell you, if you decide to try this, be thorough in your research. There are a great many things that cats find enjoyable which happen to be toxic to them. Plenty of things we humans typically eat, even all natural, unprocessed foods, simply do not work in a cat's system. It is an investment up front, but if you buy in bulk and freeze, you will actually find it's cheaper to make your own, healthier for the cat, and probably more pleasant for you to deal with.

BTCGuru81, Apr 4, 2013
  3. Scottyxx

Yeah, there is no way we can make our own. The cat has the craziest stomach, we tried raw / homemade, and it made him sick. He needs to go on a prescription diet now, and this super meaty smelling cat food.

We made our own for the longest time, and froze it. Working full time though, I often forgot to take the food out and wouldn't be able to feed the cats that day..not healthy at all!

Scottyxx, Apr 4, 2013
  4. Scottyxx

No, it's not the easiest thing to do and I can sympathize with testy stomachs. I have a cat who's allergic to everything under the sun to the point we have to get the poor thing a monthly shot. Well, you're going to have to deal with the smell while you're dishing it out, but I'd recommend moving their dishes to somewhere with little fabric. Hardwood or laminated surfaces wont soak up the scent and keep punishing your nose after the fact.

BTCGuru81, Apr 5, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that would actually change the smell unless it's a variety that you could potentially drain off the gravy or rinse the contents some before putting it in his dish.

Otherwise, maybe make sure you're feeding him in a room that you don't frequent immediately and also throw the packaging away in an outside trash can instead of the one right in your kitchen, for example.

Jessi, Apr 7, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't know how you would make the food less stinky but you could make the kitchen smell better by simmering some orange peels or cinnamon sticks in a pot of water. Jessi's idea of throwing the can in an outside trash can is a good one.

ACSAPA, Apr 7, 2013
  7. Scottyxx

Yeah, I'll throw my hat in the outside trash ring too. Just be sure it's sealed. If you think the smell of fresh organ meat pudding is nice, wait until raccoons get in a can that's had a few in there this week and have them strewn all about your porch! I may have had to experience that once...maybe. Not admitting to anything.

BTCGuru81, Apr 7, 2013
  8. Scottyxx

Yeah my trashcans are raccoon safe...learned my lesson...

I am buying a little plug in air filter device for my kitchen anyway, so I am hoping that will help!

Scottyxx, Apr 8, 2013
Ask a Question