Purina Kitten Chow

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by zippy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. zippy

zippy New Member

When I got my kitten she was on Purina Kitten Chow. I know you are supposed to keep them on the same food so I kept her on it. She had terrible diarrhea when I got her. I took her to the vet and had her treated. The vet did all the normal stuff for worms, gave her shots and gave us antibiotics. The diarrhea never went away, even after all that. The vet told us to try switching her food. I switched her to a similar brand and the diarrhea went away. Why would Purina cause her to have diarrhea? I thought they were supposed to be a good brand?

zippy, Mar 22, 2012
  2. zippy

Jessi Well-Known Member

They are a good brand, but just like humans, cats aren't all built identical. Just because it might be good for other kittens, doesn't mean that it was good for yours. And it may not have been the brand, but rather, the formula. You may find that putting her on regular Purina instead of the kitten formula is better for her even.

Jessi, Mar 26, 2012
  3. zippy

Afishy1 Member

Well, purina makes a spectrum of foods. The "chow" (kitten chow, cat chow, etc) is actually a vet poor quality food. They do have some higher quality products that any vet would feel good recommending, like Purina Proplan, and the best, Purina One. These ones are higher in price, which is why they are higher in quality. Purina also makes "Meow Mix" if I remember correctly, which causes crystals in male cats and can cause them to become blocked. So while yes they do have some good products, they also do have low price, and low quality, foods that cat owners (especially of males) should stay away from for the reasons mentioned above.

Afishy1, Mar 28, 2012
  4. zippy

kinser Active Member

I agree with Afishy1 - Purina cat chow is not a good quality food. Purina has been making some better quality lines, however. My cat loved Purina One Natural (more expensive than the chows, but definitely worth it). Cats especially need higher quality foods because their bodies are not built to digest carbohydrates, which is why you see so many pet cats that are obese.

kinser, Apr 17, 2012
  5. zippy

magickat Well-Known Member

Maybe your kitty was allergic or intolerant to one of the ingredients? At least she is OK now and you have found food she can eat :)

magickat, Apr 19, 2012
Ask a Question