Proper and Kind Training Techniques?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by QuatreHiead, Jun 28, 2012.

1. QuatreHiead

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I was wondering for training cats to not jump on tables or eat at the plants around the home, what are some proper training tools. I know of a family who uses a little water in a squirt bottle. This works well for most of their cats rather than yelling "shoo" at them or nudging them away. However some of them grow used to it and won't move for anything.

I was also concerned this could be considered cruel to them in some way. I know water is harmless although some cats really don't like getting wet. Perhaps it is instinctive to avoid drowning in intense rainstorms or to know to take cover in thunderstorms?

Any suggestions or alternatives? Or perhaps this is just the most common method used among cat owners. I've never had much an issue disciplining my previous cats, but now I am considering keeping some areas more cat free in case of visitors.

QuatreHiead, Jun 28, 2012
  2. QuatreHiead

tajnz Well-Known Member

Some cats may learn if you physically pick them up and place them on the ground again without a fuss. If you reinforce this behaviour they quickly learn there is no point in jumping on the table as you'll put them back on the ground. This way you're not scolding the cat and don't have to worry about scaring your cat. Of course this method only works if your cats are friendly otherwise you could end up with some nasty scratches.

tajnz, Jun 29, 2012
  3. QuatreHiead

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Here we use something called the lidi. It's made from coconut palm fronds. The leafy part is removed leaving only the stem. In a bunch they look like this:
    [​IMG]

Of course, we don't use a whole broom like that. Just one strand put on the floor near at hand is enough to deter most of the cats here. I think it's a conditioned reflex because just about everyone use lidi to discipline cats. We don't have to hit the cats at all. Just one look at the lidi in our hands and they know it's high time to make themselves scarce.

Victor Leigh, Jul 1, 2012
  4. QuatreHiead

The lidi is interesting. I've never heard of it. I wonder if my cats would need conditioning to be able to respond quickly to the presence of it or not? Does it have a scent that cats pick up on and don't like or anything like that? I will certainly give that a shot.

I do appreciate the technique for picking them up as well. That is a good and positive reinforcement idea I never considered. Although I know sometimes there are cats too smart for their own good and will realize there is no reason not to continue doing what they want. I've seen that happen in a few friends households before. They are really smart little things after all.

QuatreHiead, Jul 1, 2012
  5. QuatreHiead

The lidi doesn't really have a scent. If your cats have never seen a lidi before, then you only need to teach them once about the Terror of the Lidi!

Just swish it though the air and smack it hard the floor. The sound it makes as it cuts through the air, ending with a very threatening thwack on the ground is enough to tell the cats that it's not something to be trifled with.

btw the lidi also very useful for disciplining little kids.

Victor Leigh, Jul 2, 2012
  6. QuatreHiead

Oh! I see, that makes a lot of sense now. That is a very nice idea! I will have to definitely try that.

QuatreHiead, Jul 3, 2012
  7. QuatreHiead

If you cannot find a lidi, where you live, you can modify one from a long piece of bamboo. Make sure the bamboo is properly dried first before you whittle it down to size. A cane can also be used but it's impossible to find a cane that thin. Another possibility is a strand of copper wire. Leave the rubber insulation on. You may find some unwanted strands when people re-do the wiring in their houses.

Victor Leigh, Jul 3, 2012
Ask a Question