Problem with a male cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by christina, Mar 25, 2012.

1. christina

christina Active Member

I have a male cat about 2 years old. At first he didn't have a problem using the litter box. Here lately he will go anywhere he pleases. I have had to make him go outside more often. He hates being outside. He isn't fixed yet. Does anyone know why he could be doing this? How to stop him?

christina, Mar 25, 2012
  2. christina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am not too sure about that. I do know that male cats spray to mark their territory. Maybe this one thought that using poop would mark his territory better.

Victor Leigh, Mar 25, 2012
  3. christina

christina Active Member

O my goodness, I sure hope not. He is staying outside for now even though he is at the door meowing all day.

christina, Mar 25, 2012
  4. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

I definitely recommend getting him fixed. Victor is right about male cats spraying to mark their territory, so he may just be rebelling and going where ever he pleases as part of that. If you haven't thoroughly cleaned the areas where he went, he will likely continue going in those spots, too, because they have his scent in the carpet or flooring still, so make sure you clean them extra well.

Jessi, Mar 26, 2012
  5. christina

How about this? When he is inside, put him in a cage. Let him out after a few hours. When he raises a ruckus to be let in, put him back in the cage again. Maybe after a few times, he would get the message.

Victor Leigh, Mar 27, 2012
  6. christina

steph84 Well-Known Member

He is definitely doing it to be territorial and you will have to use some bleach to get the scent out. Get him fixed as soon as possible to get this under control. There are plenty of free clinics or non profit organizations that will let you get him fix at little to no cost if you need financial assistance.

steph84, Mar 27, 2012
  7. christina

christina Active Member

Thanks everyone for your response. I actually have made him an appointment for next Thursday. I will have to scrub, scrub, scrub my floors. I try to clean every spot, but maybe I'm not cleaning them well enough. I do have another question though. How can you tell if the cat is spraying or just peeing? They smell about the same.

christina, Mar 27, 2012
  8. christina

Well, to my nose, they smell exactly the same. Maybe to the cats, they smell different. I think every cat has its own signature smell, so to say. Have you noticed cats, when they meet for the first time, sniffing each other's butts?

Victor Leigh, Mar 27, 2012
  9. christina

christina Active Member

Yes they sure do sniff each other's butts. It's pretty funny. All my know each other pretty well, but they still sniff each other. I can't tell a difference in the smell either. I just can't wait till next week when we get him fixed. I sure up it helps this problem. Thanks for the advice.

christina, Mar 28, 2012
  10. christina

Actually if you can tell the difference in the smell, you would be making me worried. Because then I would be wondering when you will start sniffing the butts of everyone you meet. That would be hilarious.

Victor Leigh, Mar 31, 2012
    christina likes this.
  11. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

For the record, when we had male and female cats, I could smell a difference in their urine. >< I didn't go around sniffing their butts, of course, but if one had an accident in the house, I knew whose it was. And I can tell which one of our current cats used the little box if I walk through the room right after, hehe.

Jessi, Apr 1, 2012
  12. christina

Goodness, you must have been living with cats for too long. Now I wonder if you can tell by the smell whether the person who just passed you by is a male or a female. Or if he/she had just had a good bout of BEDminton.

Victor Leigh, Apr 2, 2012
  13. christina

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Your cat maybe doing this outside of the box due to the fact, the litter box may need a complete cleaning, or he's sick. I have a cat that is actually going outside of his box, and he had never done that before. The vet wasn't sure why, but adviced me to keep an eye on the situation. I had started using this certain type of litterbox where you only needed to change the the pedlets just once a mouth, due to the fact the urine is caught in a liner below. I recently changed it, and so far so good, and no more accidents elsewhere. I always check their litter boxes about 3 times a day, but since I started using this differentt of litter, I may have been a little too secure that the special litter may last more than a month. Hope this helps! This is just my opinion, but think about calling your vet and asking a few question that will help you understand about this situation.

Jenny Heart, Apr 2, 2012
Ask a Question