Places your cat is not allowed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GavinMcresty, May 8, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Are there any places in your house, which are "off-limits" to your cat? If yes, why is this? Also, do you manage to keep them out or do they manage to get in anyway? In our house, the cat was not allowed into the study. The only reason for this was to keep her away from the computers. My dad was worried her hair would damage the computers eventually. He was also concerned that she might try to climb on them and knock things down.

GavinMcresty, May 8, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

mariposa Well-Known Member

The only place our cat isn't really allowed is the attached garage. It's enclosed and safe, but I'm always afraid that someone is going to open the automatic garage door because there's more than one place to do that from and we wouldn't necessarily see that she was out there. I also don't want her crawling behind things like the furnace and oil tank... icky! :eek:

Although she's allowed upstairs, we only use it for storage and keep the stair door closed. When she's up there, she comes running down the steps so fast that eventually I know she'd miss a step and tumble... they're very steep and short steps and I'd like to have them done over, but it hasn't happened yet.

mariposa, May 8, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Nope! Cats are so stubborn, I feel like it'd be very difficult to keep them out of a specific area. The most I do is trying to keep them off the counter in the kitchen when I'm cooking, no one likes cat hair in food, but I don't see much else worth the effort. There's not a lot in my house that isn't cat friendly, so there's not too much of a point. -shrugs-

blurinoctober, May 14, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

steph84 Well-Known Member

We try to keep the bathroom a pet free zone, but they always scratch at the door. My kitties like to jump on the sink and drink from the faucet. We thought it was cute at first, but now they lick it and we find it weird because that's where our water comes from when we brush our teeth. My male kitty also recently jumped into the shower and peed.

steph84, May 16, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

Jessica New Member

Nope. I think we used to try and keep them out of the bedrooms. All we had to do was shut our doors to do that. We don't do keep them out anymore. They generally hang out in one room though. We put up baby gates so our dogs couldn't get into that area. The cats like it because they can sleep and eat and walk around without the dogs annoying them. They also have their litter box in that area, so they don't have to go into the other rooms at all. They do sometimes, but only certain adventurous cats. The lazy ones just sleep their heads off in that room all day.

Jessica, May 19, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

Epicfied Well-Known Member

We try to keep the cats out of the bedrooms. The main cause for this is the amount of fur they leave behind.
    I usually try to keep them out specifically at night because I sleep with my door closed.
    In the middle of the nights, they will want out.

Epicfied, May 31, 2013
  7. GavinMcresty

jules Active Member

The only two places my cat is not allowed in is the closet and the bathroom. I fear that I might come home to see it playing in the toilet bowl and so I always keep the lids down. It sheds so much fur despite all the grooming I do and don't want its fur on my clothes either and I often have to chase it out of the closet. It likes to sleep with me although it does like to go in and out of the bedroom throughout the night so I just sleep with my door open.

jules, Jun 1, 2013
  8. GavinMcresty

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

The only thing the cat isn't allowed to go near is my plants by the back kitchen door, because she tries to bite them. My place isn't that big so I don't have any rooms that are off limits to the cat. I think she would find a way in anyway.

ACSAPA, Jun 2, 2013
  9. GavinMcresty

jose26425 Member

I've tried many times to keep our cats out of our closets. They love to sleep on our clothes, and we normally have to spend half an hour the next day trying to remove all the cat fair from our clothes. We quickly discovered that our cats will sleep wherever they want. Somehow, they manage to dart into our closets when we aren't looking and make a home for themselves. I guess daily lint-rolling it is!

jose26425, Jun 4, 2013
  10. GavinMcresty

Trellum Well-Known Member

The bathroom. The main reason for that is how awkward it can be to have the cat there while you are doing your needs, lol. My cat wants to play with my feet and rub himself against my legs. He has even tried to sit on my lap. So the bathroom is now off limits for him :p

Trellum, Jan 7, 2014
  11. GavinMcresty

lasha22 Member

My cat docent have any restrictions besides the laundry room. She goes behind the washing machine and won't come out. She has to stay in my room or she freaks out

lasha22, Jan 9, 2014
Ask a Question