Picking Good Wet Cat Food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by doublelady, Nov 21, 2011.

1. doublelady

doublelady Active Member

I have a basic understanding of how to pick a decent dry cat food. I don't ever remember the right ratios for fat and other content, but I check the ingredients list and rule out foods with grains and filler as the top ingredients. I've found a relatively affordable food that only has barley as a filler and it's the 7th ingredient after all meat and fat ingredients.

However, how do you pick a good wet food? I've found a lot of wet foods at the store that have no corn or wheat and sound like they're all meat or animal products. Are these foods good enough, or do I need to look into them further?

doublelady, Nov 21, 2011
  2. doublelady

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

I know I sound like a broken record on this site, but I've done the research. The best food you can feed your cat is raw, whether it's Frankenprey or whole prey. Frankenprey is just a simulation of what whole prey would beā€”organ meat, muscle meat, small bones to crunch and eat and in the correct percentages. Buying cheaper meats from the store, or discounted meats near their sell-by date is great and these go a long way. One package with 3 steaks on special fed my cat for a week, mixed in with turkey hearts, livers and small chicken bones (which he loves) with commercial raw food by Primal as a base. It can be inconvenient to prep compared to canned food just because of the inherent risks with raw meat *for humans*. Cats have no trouble with raw meat and for humans it's easy to forget this.

But, the advantages are too deep to go into here. Check out http://www.catinfo.org/ for more info.

MaxKitteh, Nov 28, 2011
  3. doublelady

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I tried making raw food for my cat, I had no problem with the prep, and the cats loved the food, the problem was with forgetting to take the food out of the freezer. Given the high risk of salmonella in cats, defrosting the food in the microwave is a big no-no, and it became simply impractical for me.

Food wise, you want to think about what a cat would eat if they had the choice! It would be MEAT MEAT MEAT! So you need to look at the ingredients, cats dont need Corn or grains in any form, so this is just pure filler. Make sure the first ingredients are Meat and not meat-by-products, meat by products can be anything related to meat, so if in doubt don't buy it.

I got some great advice from some people on another cat forum which I am really paraphrasing here, but the best foods came out to be Felidae, Wellness, Nature's Variety, Instinct and Weruva.

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
  4. doublelady

andrew320 Well-Known Member

We always get a natural brand, which has done wonders for their coats. My fiancee taught me to avoid the cat food with the corn, meat by-products, all the chemicals and something else. Instead, we usually get the cat food with fish, vegetables and other ingredients. It even looks better than the junk Whiskas or Iams cat food!

andrew320, Sep 10, 2012
Ask a Question