One Tip to New Owners

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scottyxx, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

If you could pass on just one piece of kitty wisdom to a person considering a cat, or a recent kitten mummy/daddy what would it be?

Scottyxx, Oct 22, 2012
  2. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Get rid of all your good furniture. No leather couch left behind! Hehe.

More seriously, I would tell them to kitty litter box train early and stick with it. The fewer accidents, the better, and there'll be fewer issues later on.

Jessi, Oct 24, 2012
  3. Scottyxx

Daintipawz Well-Known Member

I would say do lots of reading about the breed they were to choose, if it was a long haired breed or squashed faced such as the Persian or Exotic make sure you have the time and the patience to groom them daily and also be able to clean their eyes and also their bottoms if need be, when a long haired cat gets a bit of diarrhoea it can be quite messy. So get lots of info and advice as possible before bringing a kitten home. Know the needs of each breed, if you are out all day then don't buy a cat such as the Siamese who likes lots of human company.

Daintipawz, Oct 24, 2012
  4. Scottyxx

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Don't feed them milk or human food. Change the litter box frequently because even if you get used to the smell of cats, your guests won't appreciate cat smell. Make sure to spay/neuter them because even an indoor cat can escape and get pregnant.

ACSAPA, Mar 25, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Don't take your cat for granted, they're not a wall ornament! I hear far too often that cats are "too chill" and they "simply don't need anything". So untrue! Just because your cat isn't as eager to please as a dog doesn't mean they don't want and need your attention, or that they're not loyal. Sibyl rarely shows me how much she loves me, but it happens. I can't take that for granted! Cat ownership takes more than feeding them and changing the litter.

blurinoctober, Mar 29, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

wahmed Active Member

If your cat is panting take it to the vet. They could be having anything from a panic attack to cardiovascular or respitory issues

wahmed, Mar 11, 2015
  7. Scottyxx

Anne Well-Known Member

So much great advice but what came as a big surprise was the smell of the poop and the fact that my dogs had a great interest in it. So if they have dogs be on the look out for the dog wanting to help you with the poop. Then the litter being the first thing you introduce them to would be advice.

Oops. I went over the one limit. I guess we combine those two to make one.

Anne, Mar 11, 2015
  8. Scottyxx

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Beware of giving a cat milk.this one was already said, but its good advice and a mistake many cat owners make. I know that I made this mistake in thinking that store bought milk could be given to a cat, not true. Only give a cat water, and make sure that the water is kept fresh by changing it as often as possible. Cat's like fresh water. Keep a cats litter box and feeding bowls along with sleep areas clean as well. Cats like things to be cleaned, yes cats can be particular about these things. Keep track of your cats make sure they aren't getting in places they shouldn't such as near electrical cords.

pafjlh, Mar 12, 2015
  9. Scottyxx

erik Well-Known Member

Enjoy every moment with them while you can... life is temporary and nothing is permanent. Haha sorry for the morbid tone. Kidding aside, what would happen if you give cats milk?

erik, Mar 14, 2015
  10. Scottyxx

Trellum Well-Known Member

That is so true... cow milk is so hard to digest, even for us humans. I in particular have troubles with milk, hence I drink the lactose-free one :) Sadly a lot people keep making this awful mistake... kitties should only drink cat milk.

Trellum, Mar 15, 2015
Ask a Question