Obese cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Apr 3, 2012
  2. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

SAD! If this is true, it is going to cause some people to purposely make their cats fat in order to get the cat (THEMSELVES) on TV. Why would you want your pet to suffer and not be able to move and play as they should be able to.?

btatro, Apr 3, 2012
  3. Jessi

Becky Well-Known Member

The owners should be disgusted with themselves! On the one hand a program is good to show other owners how to help their cats lose weight if needed, but on the other I really hope people don't overfeed their cats to try and get on TV. I heard recently that the Guinness World Records no longer list things like the heaviest cat so that people don't try and beat it, which seems sensible to me.

Becky, Apr 4, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Cats can end up with worse diseases just from being obese. They can end up with diabetes, and have to have insulin shots and be on alot of restrictions. If a cat is obese, and then loses weight too fast, I've heard they can develop feline leukemia. Sorry if I spelled leukemia wrong. My one cat died from feline leukemia. That's why I'm scared when I hear about obese cats. He wasn't too fat. He just felt solid, and was always hungry. We all tried to feed him an average amount twice a day, like the vet recommended. Cat owners should help their cats stay healthy and trim, and never unhealthy and fat.

Jenny Heart, Apr 7, 2012
  5. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This is what I would call the original fat cat:
    [​IMG]

Actually I don't think that the owners of obese cats realize the harm they are doing to their cats. They think they are taking very good care of the cats. Just like all those loving wives who cook up great meals for their husbands.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think you're right that most don't even realize they're doing any harm to the cats. After all, they're keeping them fed and what they need. I suppose that's generally seen as better than starving them, right? But ultimately, it can cause even more issues so can be really unfortunate sometimes. :(

Jessi, Apr 11, 2012
  7. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

Oh, no! I don't think they should be showcasing fat cats. This will just drive people to over feed their pets so they can get their 15 minutes of fame. I would rather watch an informational piece on how to help out my pet.

steph84, Apr 12, 2012
  8. Jessi

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Oh my! How could anyone's cat get to be that big? That is absolutely horrible. And then there going to possibly profit off of getting their cats healthy. I suppose that gives them more incentive, but come on. Seeing the way those cats look is incentive enough.

dkramarczyk, Apr 12, 2012
Ask a Question