Note to self, put glasses on in the morning walk to the kitchen!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jowjo5, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

For two mornings now I have got out of bed and walked out to the kitchen. First issue, not putting on my glasses.
    Second issue, almost stepping on half eaten mice!

Ok, don't get me wrong, I am thrilled my cats are catching the mice in my house. But yesterday I almost stepped on a half eaten mouse on the kitchen floor! I bent down thinking it was a clump of dog hair, nope! I almost grabbed with my hands! I ever so quickly stepped away (as if it was going to get me ) and quickly ran to my bedroom to get my sleeping husband out of bed to fix this problem. He got up, good man, and got rid of the last half of the mouse.

Now today you think I would have learned and put my glasses on before I ventured out to the kitchen. Nope.

I went to let one of our dogs out and again almost stepped on a dead mouse. A full dead mouse. My cats must have not been wanting fresh meat, they left him on the floor.
    Once again, I backed up quickly as if he was able to attack me and went this time to get my son. We were to be at church in a few hours so I bribed him into taking care of the mouse and I would buy him a bagel on the way to church! Sad or what !

I am a 45 year old gal who is afraid of dead mice! Don't tell anyone!

jowjo5, Mar 4, 2013
  2. jowjo5

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Don't worry, by mom is afraid as well and she's a few years older than you. My dad handles all of the carcasses around our yard rather than one of us doing it.
    It's good your cats are catching them, mice and rats are pretty icky! It's too bad this is taking place inside, Dusty has only caught one rodent inside our house and that was in the laundry room with my mom in there trying to do laundry at the same time. Most of their kills are left in the yard or on the front porch.
    Hopefully your cats are almost done, but be careful and try to remember your glasses next time! It would be gross and maybe even traumatic to pick up the dead rodent. I would be grossed out and scared to touch one, too!

CinnamonKiss, Mar 4, 2013
  3. jowjo5

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

So, are you going to start wearing your glasses? The next time your luck might run out and you might step on the next mouse. You probably shouldn't risk it. It sounds like your cats are top-notch hunters.

I definitely think dead mice are gross and I wouldn't want to touch one, but I'm able to throw them away without calling a man to do it. I just grit my teeth and do it quickly. As a single mom, I do all the "male" tasks like mouse disposal but I squeal with disgust like a girl when I throw the mouse in the trash bag,

ACSAPA, Mar 4, 2013
  4. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!

Been there, done that, and I don't even wear glasses. I'm just usually still half asleep in the morning....or I'm not paying attention to what's on the floor in front of me. It's such a gross feeling!

Jessi, Mar 16, 2013
  5. jowjo5

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have done that and stepped on my cats! The worst is when you walk around in the dark and just feel them under your bare feet. It just gives the me chills thinking about it. You have a great hunter at home!

steph84, Mar 16, 2013
  6. jowjo5

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Oh, geez! I've never had this experience with cats, only dogs! Maybe I've just lucked out and my cats only drag bugs into the room for me?!

blurinoctober, Mar 31, 2013
  7. jowjo5

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone wants to encounter a carcass of any sort first thing in the morning. I don't think I would have been frightened but certainly disgusted. That's good that your cats are keeping the vermin under control though. I live next to a field absolutely crawling with mice, voles, raccoons, ground hogs and muskrats. To this day I've never found signs of any of them in my house (on my back porch though, climbing the freezer).

BTCGuru81, Apr 1, 2013
  8. jowjo5

Cacophobias New Member

Oh my god that's scary. If I wasn't wearing my glasses and I was in your place, I probably would have picked it up for closer inspection. Since I also don't get hints very easily, I'd probably sniff it too before I just threw it away without even knowing the horrible thing my hands and foot just touched. You are a brave woman.

Cacophobias, Apr 18, 2013
Ask a Question