New Study Implies Our Cats Do Not Us?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Herman&Eddie, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I have not found the link to the study, only stories reporting the findings by a study by researchers from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in England similar to the Minnesota Longitudinal Study of Risk and Adaptation concerning infants and mothers.

I am not convinced that this recent study had enough research to be believable. Certainly, my two cats Eddie and Herman may adapt to new owners, but they are certainly attached to us for more then just their basic needs.

I mean goodness, Herman and Eddie are cat napping right next to me, I can guarantee, when I get up Eddie will follow me. Hmm, let me try it. Yep. Eddie followed me into the other room and is now back at my side.

What do you think? Just because cats tend to have a mind of their own, do you think they have an detachment to us? I mean sure cats have different personalities and their breed also make them different, but I just do not see enough proof to show me that my cats are emotionally unattached to their owners.

http://www.livescience.com/17573-ba...t-future-adult-relationships-study-finds.html

http://news.yahoo.com/sorry-cat-lov...mY2MwBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Herman&Eddie, Sep 6, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Guess I have to weigh in on this. Certainly is an interesting academic argument. Here's my problem(s) with the experimental design that produced the result. Dogs are social creatures, humans are social creatures, but the domestic cat's ancestry derives from solitary hunter species. The researchers are using as their base-line data responses that are "natural', and appropriate for a pack/social animals. If you are going to test feline responses, you first must establish what the base-line natural feline responses are. For example, how do cats show love and affection to other cats? Do cats exhibit separation anxiety when removed from cat companions? There are many questions to be asked to establish natural feline responses. In a way, you might say that the research design, as presented in the yahoo article, is "comparing apples to oranges," and any cat lover knows that cats don't respond the same way dogs do to anything. Our modern Western culture has a built-in prejudice for dogs over cats. I believe it is built into most research designs studying cats. They "should" respond like dogs, but when they don't, it's sort of 'what's wrong with them?"

I guess my shorter answer to the question 'do cats attach to their owners?" Oh, most definitely. I think that cats are smarter than dogs, and enjoy the challenge of bonding with a different species.

Kay Dougall, Sep 6, 2015
    Becky likes this.
  3. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Thank you for your academic response to the question about cats bonding to their owners. I agree, the flawed study is comparing apples to oranges. As I said, I have not located the original findings of this study; however, I have seen the studies in both text books and videos about infants and separation anxiety between male and female infants from their mothers (not their fathers). So, you make a valid agreement about the need to further the research using different methods.

As far as cats being smarter then dogs, I am not sold on this idea either. I think, both species display an intelligence that could benefit from more research. Of course, not judgmental because I do agree that society in general tends to favor dogs over cats. Taking that a step further, there even seems to be some irrational thought that cats lovers are solitary figures. All in all, it is not a good thing to group people or animals into generalized categories.

Herman&Eddie, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, from experience... let me tell you my Bob was kidnapped by a neighbor kid. I had no idea at the moment that was the case, I thought i'd never see my Bob again, until one day after 6 months he was talking in front my house. He didn't try to get into the house, it was like he was waiting to be invited by me, lol. So I did and he walked right in. I could tell that little monster was rough... but he did remember where we lived! He came here to look for me! I think that says a lot.

Trellum, Sep 7, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  5. Herman&Eddie

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that cats do get attached. The woman downstairs who had Merle since he was a baby and threw him outside had a little boy. Whenever the little boy was outside playing ball with his Dad, Merle would sit in the window and cry. It use to break my heart. As soon as he would hear the little boys voice he would run to the window. His Mom would tell him not to look at the cat. She denied that cat was even hers but the little boy use to tell his Dad whenever he came over to visit that the cat use to be his. I was glad when they moved away. Merle attached quickly to my grand daughter and i think it was because he was use to the little boy. He still likes to sit in the window and
    watch the kids playing in the playground. Even though he loves us I still think if that little boy came around he would remember him.

Susan Brown, Sep 9, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  6. Herman&Eddie

MER Well-Known Member

My little Rosco just goes purr crazy when we meet up. He's happy to see me. Yes, they are attached. Gemma is a my wife's cat and their inseparable.

MER, Sep 9, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
Ask a Question