New research on obese cat's feeding schedule

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Herman&Eddie, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Okay. I was excited to to read the research released from a new study by
    Kelly Swanson from the University of Illinois, an animal sciences researcher.
    I was wondering, if our idea to feed Herman smaller portions through out the
    day would help her lose weight. As it turns out, evidence supports that we
    are doing the right thing. What a relief!

Herman really has lost weight in the last month, when we changed around
    her feeding schedule. She no longer has free reign to eat when she wants,
    nor is Eddie's food easily reachable. Yes, she liked to eat Eddie's food first
    and save hers for later!

I guess, by feeding less sized portions more frequently through out the day,
    not only helps her loose weight, but is more healthy for her too because she
    more active! Well, Herman sure is more active. She is always
    on high alert, when someone goes into the kitchen and opens the refrigerator
    door!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 22, 2015
  2. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Heheheh, I could only do the same ;) I'm having a hard time losing weight (I suffer from insulin resistance), if I compare to some years ago, when I could easily lose 1 kilo per week without almost any effort :( Glad to hear your Herman is losing the weight she needs to lose :) I'm sure she will lose all the weight she needs to lose with your help.

Trellum, Apr 23, 2015
  3. Herman&Eddie

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, the issue of weight loss! Sorry to hear about your struggle with insulin resistance!!!!! In my case, I could always eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and however much I wanted! :cool: But, I think with age our metabolisms slow down. I am thinking this is the same for cats?

Thanks for caring about Herman's weight! It really was a big deal and concern for us. I must say, not only is she losing weight, but her fur is so much healthier. It has its shine back and dander gone. Best choice, for us, was to change her diet!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 23, 2015
  4. Herman&Eddie

Trellum Well-Known Member

Until insulin resistance kicked in I could lose weight fast if I wanted, built muscle fast, etc. But now it does require effort to lose weight, and a lot more effort to gain weight, which is good, but I feel stuck :( I ate a whole cake some weeks ago... lol, fattest thing I ever done, didn't gain a single kilo. I'm stuck with the same weight :( Some weeks later am still weighing the same...!!!! I don't follow the diet to perfection, but some years before I could shed the pounds fast. It sounds crazy, but no matter what I eat my weight is the same. I'd need to eat a looot chocolate and baked stuff in order to gain a single kilo tho :cool: I guess that is a positive side.

You're welcome :) Obesity is a huge problem everywhere, makes me sad to see cats being restricted by their weight (saw it with the neighbor's cat).

Trellum, Apr 24, 2015
Ask a Question