My cat pees wherever she wants!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by acheno84, May 22, 2016.

1. acheno84

acheno84 Member

I don't know what to do. My kitten pees literally wherever she feels like. We have 4 indoor cats, all in which she grew up with as she was born in my home. We have 4 cat boxes that get cleaned at least once a day, yet this little kitten will pee wherever she wants. She has marked our bed countless times (even with us sleeping in it!) and I have spent many hours steam cleaning it out of there. Someone told me that she is trying to fit in with the family, but she gets so much love and attention, I just don't think that can be it. She will poop in the boxes no problem, but will get out, and pee on the tile right in front. Could it be that she doesn't like the way the litter feels? Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm about to lose my mind. I love my cats but cannot deal with the cat pee all over the house. Why is my female marking her territory all over the place?

acheno84, May 22, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  2. acheno84

Valerie Active Member

Well, the first question that comes to mind is (aside from how long this cat has been peeing all over) 1) is she spayed? If she hasn't been spayed, that could be an issue. The second is the gender and ages of the other cats. Though they might get along, this particular kitty might truly be vying for dominance over the house. If she's the youngest, that could play a role in this marking thing. Also, it could be something similar to a urinary tract infection. When the urge strikes, animals will just go because holding it isn't very fun in that case.

Valerie, May 22, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  3. acheno84

cluckeyo Active Member

My parents had a cat that did that. One time I was lying on the couch at their house and it jumped up on me and peed. He was relagated to the outdoors after my Dad found out about that.

cluckeyo, May 30, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  4. acheno84

acheno84 Member

Thank you. She actually has an appointment next week to get spayed (hopefully she isn't in heat again...) That would eliminate a lot of problems there for sure because my mom's cat did the same thing until she was fixed. I will say, her momma (who is now fixed) beat her up pretty bad when she was a kitten on a daily basis, and then her little sister (the runt of the litter) had a seizure and passed away in front of her when they were about 3 months old so I know she's gone through some trauma. I have never seen a sad kitten until that day. Nothing would cheer her up. Toys, bells, paper, cat treats, nothing. She was just sad. We spent the entire next day cuddled on the couch together and she never got off of my chest.

Funny thing is now that I work from home, she hasn't done it at all and she will spend the entire day in the same room with me, no matter where I go. I think she just needs to be stimulated or near someone or something important to her. She loves her big old "Uncle Calvin" who is 7 years old and they cuddle together a lot as well. Might just be an attention thing after all.

acheno84, Jun 9, 2016
    Novelangel and Anne like this.
  5. acheno84

Anne Well-Known Member

Anne, Jun 24, 2016
  6. acheno84

Novelangel Active Member

You mentioned that your kitten stopped doing this once you started working from home. There's your solution. She was apparently 'voicing' her opinion of your going away and leaving her each day. Some cats are clingier than others and it sounds as though the two of you bonded quite strong from the very beginning. It can be hard for needy cats when their people go away, even just for a few hours, so they act out in any way that they know will cause a problem. I had a cat once who would make himself throw up when he got mad about something. He wasn't actually sick, but would heave and heave until he managed to bring up his lunch. He'd make sure and do it on property belonging to the person who offended him. He was quite the little stinker about that at times. He never tried to pee on the floor or anything like that, however.

Novelangel, Jun 30, 2016
Ask a Question