My cat likes to sleep on my head at night!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jowjo5, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

This is the craziest thing. I have one cat who comes on in the bedroom purring at the top of his lungs and hops on the bed, then next pile on top of my head.

It sounds like a huge jet plane on my head because he is sleeping on one of my ears.

Kind of hard to sleep, but yet cute.

I hear him coming and there have been times I try to hide under the covers or my pillow. That just gives him a more comfy place to sleep on top of my head. It has blankets!

jowjo5, Feb 25, 2013
  2. jowjo5

steph84 Well-Known Member

It's hard to sleep that way and then you'll be super tired the next day. Now I have a no cats in the room rule and I only let them sleep with me on the weekends. I just need my beauty sleep. It's also bad for your skin and you can break out.

steph84, Feb 26, 2013
  3. jowjo5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Yup mine too! They like to be curled up right by my boyfriends head, or even on some occasions on it. Multiple times Pussington has pushed him off the pillow so she can have it all to herself.

Scottyxx, Feb 26, 2013
  4. jowjo5

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwh! My dog, Bandit, used to do this to me. He's not exactly a lap dog, though, so I had to get him to stop. My cats on the other hand, especially Sibyl, much prefer to sleep on my side/back/belly than my head. More room for her to stretch out and be warm, I suppose. Even if I move a lot or it gets on my nerves, it's just what she loves to do!

blurinoctober, Feb 27, 2013
  5. jowjo5

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

They're so cute when they sleep with us humans though, it's hard to say no. Dusty likes sleeping near/on my legs and only comes up to my head when he's ready to be let outside or fed. Your cat might try to sleep on your face, which would be even more uncomfortable! Be careful that it doesn't come to that. ;)

CinnamonKiss, Feb 27, 2013
  6. jowjo5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

It is so hard to say no CinnamonKiss! Pussington even has her own pillow now. She sleeps in between me and my bf, and even gets herself all tucked in under the blankets. Bandit, thankfully is nice enough to sleep on my feet out of the way,

Scottyxx, Feb 27, 2013
  7. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol! I think it's pretty common, too. It's part of the reason why there's an old wives' tale that cats are baby killers because they would be seen going into the cribs and curling up on their heads/faces. It's usually because our breath is so warm and feels good, in addition to just wanting to be close to someone who is warm and feels good.

Jessi, Mar 5, 2013
    ACSAPA likes this.
  8. jowjo5

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I think these cats enjoy warm human breath a little too much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ACSAPA, Apr 3, 2013
  9. jowjo5

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ACSAPA, Apr 3, 2013
  10. jowjo5

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

Haha. I've been having sleep disturbance issues with a feline friend recently too. I have been taking the advice of others hand having cat-free nights every other night or so, that way I can be better rested throughout the week. But something odd has happened: I've found I miss the constant purring! I didn't realize it before, but it helps me sleep. My cat is one of the loudest purrers I've ever heard and she "puts me to bed" every night. Now I don't get to sleep as fast on those nights she's not there, though I do sleep more soundly.

BTCGuru81, Apr 3, 2013
  11. jowjo5

jose26425 Member

My fiancee has a huge problem with this as well. Within the last year or so, we adopted a cat from a friend of ours. He has the habit of purring loudly and nuzzle against my fiancee late at night while she is trying to sleep. He is relatively aggressive and rubs his face against hers over and over again, all the while purring like a freight train. He nuzzles like he is possessed. Any ideas why?

jose26425, Jun 4, 2013
  12. jowjo5

jules Active Member

My cat actually loves to sleep near my feet. Whenever I adjust my position,it will get up,wait for me to be comfortable and then makes itself comfortable. I guess I am lucky in that sense that my cat doesn't like sleeping near my head!

jules, Jun 4, 2013
  13. jowjo5

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My small dog likes to sleep near my feet. Your cat is pretty considerate to wait for you to get comfortable. Some cats don't care if their humans are comfortable.

ACSAPA, Jun 21, 2013
  14. jowjo5

Trellum Well-Known Member

LOL, awwww! That kittie has made his mind and has decided the only place he wants to sleep it's your head :p How cute! Kinda annoying after a bit, no? Have you thought of locking the door? If it was me I'd have done that already.. I've such a hard time sleeping at night :( With a cat purring so loud over my head sleeping would be impossible.

Trellum, Oct 21, 2014
  15. jowjo5

Is he neutered? I'm betting he isn't, it's just a wild guess, but from his behavior he surely isn't neutered or he wasn't neutered correctly. That's the only explanation I can find!

Trellum, Oct 21, 2014
  16. jowjo5

Abu Sayed New Member

Thats no longer bizarre for a cat. you're considering as a human and cats should not human. principally it's partly reverting to kitten behaviour and treating you as it is mom.

Abu Sayed, Apr 21, 2015
  17. jowjo5

morgoodie Member

How cute. I had one that I would wake up suffocating because he was sleeping on my face. They love to pick the most random spots to sleep. That is one of the cute things about cats though sometimes they are too loving. LOL

morgoodie, Mar 5, 2016
  18. jowjo5

I think they like that kind of places because they tend to get very warm ;) My cat also loves my feet when I am sitting down working for the same reason, he moves when it gets too hot though.

Trellum, Mar 13, 2016
Ask a Question