My cat is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Miriah, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Miriah

Miriah New Member

Hello everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this. I will do my best to keep it short.

I have a male cat about a year and a half old, he is fixed and can be the sweetest little thing. Then he gets in these hyper moods and things get real chaotic around here. We have an entertainment stand and he knows he isn't allowed up there. I have tried physically moving him to the ground and interacting with him or playing with the laser light. It works for a bit and then he is back up there. He also likes to get behind the t.v. where he knows I can't reach him and play with the cords and wires. Pretty soon I am getting annoyed and snapping "Damn it Wyatt. Get down!!" He sits there and stares at me... I have also resorted to using a spray bottle on him but he doesn't care. Unless its right in his face and I hate doing that to him.

Another huge problem I have is that early in the morning he is clawing up my box spring matteress. My gf is extremely frustrated with this behavior. She has tried spraying him, raising her voice, clapping her hands, and who knows what all else. He just doesn't stop.

He has now started climbing the door frames and I am doing my best to catch him in the act. When I do I tell him NO, and give him toys while setting him on the cat tree. Please help me. Its like nothing I do works and I am not sure why he is like this. I have five other cats that he can pick on and yet he chooses to be a problem child. I thought age and getting him fixed would help resolve these issues. I think it made him worse.

Any and all ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Miriah, Mar 21, 2016
  2. Miriah

Becky Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @Miriah and sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your cat! Sounds like he's letting off pent up energy, maybe introduce some toys or games that keep him busy?

Becky, Mar 23, 2016
  3. Miriah

nytegeek Member

Definitely get some more toys for him. Get a variety to keep his interest. Maybe get a cat tree or some cat furniture for him to mess with as well.

nytegeek, Mar 25, 2016
  4. Miriah

Trellum Well-Known Member

He sounds like he is a very bored kitty, maybe he needs some company or one of those cat scratching stands he can climb and scratch. If he is young this is very understandable, once he gets older it might get better though.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Miriah

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I would also say that he sounds bored and maybe he needs some other distractions. I have a cat that has his bad moments too. I just keep correcting him when he does something I don't want him to. It does get frustrating. It seems some cats are just more mischevious then others. I wish I had the answers for you but I am struggling with the same thing. My cat has lots of toys and we try to keep him busy but he still likes to get in trouble the first chance that he gets.

Susan Brown, Apr 7, 2016
Ask a Question