my cat has a bit of blood in poo

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by britishblueshorthair, Oct 2, 2010.

1. britishblueshorthair

britishblueshorthair Member

my cat has the odd poo with a bit of blood in it.

is this due to straining when pooing or something i should be worried about and should call my vets?

britishblueshorthair, Oct 2, 2010
  2. britishblueshorthair

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi Britishblueshorthair,
    I'm definitely not a vet expert but I've had similar problems throughout the years of cat-owning. If the blood is bright red, that usually means it's more like a hemorrhoid (from straining) but if the blood is darker, that might be a more serious problem. If there is sticky mucus associated with the poo, that might mean colitis-like problem. I'd probably watch to see if the blood reoccurs, but wouldn't want it to go longer than a week. Good luck. It's so scary when something like this happens to our babies.

Kay Dougall, Dec 12, 2014
    Bloomsie likes this.
  3. britishblueshorthair

Bloomsie Active Member

Realistically, instead of searching what could be the problem, I would immediately call your vet and describe the feces and have them quickly search it. They obviously have a better understanding and knowledge of what may be occurring and it's a much faster way to get your cat the help that he or she needs.

Personally, I would rather pay $100 to receive a diagnoses of what's going on to ensure my cat's health, than to sit down and figure out what it may be and pay more later because you've waited.

Good luck to you and your cat. I hope all is well.

Bloomsie, Dec 12, 2014
Ask a Question