Multiple Cats/Litter Boxes?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by christina, Mar 30, 2012.

1. christina

christina Active Member

This question is for people who have more than one cat in the house. Let's say you have 3 cats...would you have 3 different litter boxes? One litter box per cat?

christina, Mar 30, 2012
  2. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've done it both ways before.

When we brought a new kitten into the house, she had her own kitty litter for training purposes. The older cat stayed away from it and vice versa...the scents were distinct, so neither was really interested in the other. We later condensed down to just one and it caused some issues...but when we switched back to two, they both used each others' anyway, so it was pointless, lol!

It does feel like I have to clean the single litter box completely more often (like switch out the litter entirely) with both using constantly.

Jessi, Mar 30, 2012
  3. christina

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I do have 3 cats, and I recommend using one litter box per cat. I saw this information on a new cat litter box that I purchased. This information made good sense to me. What if 2 cats were already using the litter boxes, and the 3rd one had to use one of them? The 3rd cat would probably have an accident some where in the house, in my opinion.

Jenny Heart, Apr 2, 2012
  4. christina

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Actually yes, I do. I have them in various places in the house. One in the living room, one in the bathroom, and one in the basement. It seems like we may even need four though. Once the cat decides that the litter box is bad, then it will go anywhere it pleases. Even if the litter box really isn't that bad, and yes the cat is trained. I think that cats are just really stubborn and if something isn't perfect their way, then they will find somewhere else that suits their liking.

dkramarczyk, Apr 2, 2012
  5. christina

christina Active Member

I have to agree. I can clean the litter box one day and not long after he will decide to go various places. It gets old having to clean up so often, but I love my cats! My cats are trained also! I think they are just picky.

christina, Apr 2, 2012
  6. christina

Cats do seem to be really picky. The one main thing that I don't like about cats is how they can hold a grudge. I've never had a cat do this to me yet, but I really don't want it to happen.

dkramarczyk, Apr 2, 2012
  7. christina

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I agree! I have three cats and I have three litter boxes. Although, usually they only use two of them. Bella uses the one in my bathroom all the time and then I have one in a second bathroom in the middle of the house that they rarely use. The last one is located in the utility room and both of the boys use that one most of the time.

SheWolfSilver, Apr 4, 2012
  8. christina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think a big litter box is better than a few smaller ones. I have watched my cats doing their business and it seems to me that cats think going to the toilet is some kind of social affair. They tend to do it near each other.

Victor Leigh, Apr 5, 2012
  9. christina

I disagree with this point of view or at least it's different for my cats. When one cat is in the litter box and another cat comes near, it turns into a bunch of hissing. I think my cats just want their privacy to be respected.

dkramarczyk, Apr 7, 2012
  10. christina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That depends on the cats. Some cats get on fine. Some don't. Some can eat from the same dish together. Some will slap any cat that comes near when it's eating. I have even had one that stops eating and walks off in a huff if another cat comes near when it's eating.

Victor Leigh, Apr 8, 2012
  11. christina

That's very true. Cats all have their own personalities and with that comes their own thoughts and ideas. They see things all differently and some enjoy certain things while other dislike them. That's one of the things that makes cats seem so human.

dkramarczyk, Apr 8, 2012
Ask a Question