Milk is not healthy for cats when given regularly, who knew?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by messlisa, May 7, 2013.

1. messlisa

messlisa Member

I had begun noticing that my cat was having difficulty breathing and took him to the vet. At this time the vet asked me if I gave my cat milk on a regular basis, and when I told her yes, that's when she made me aware of it actually not being healthy for them. My cat is addicted to milk and it is sad when he screams for it, but I have substituted it with pet milk you can purchase from your local Pet Smart, better safe than sorry I guess. Poor guy..:(

messlisa, May 7, 2013
  2. messlisa

CatFour Active Member

I have heard that you are not supposed to give milk to cats, but I have through the years when I didn't know that and it never hurt them. A diet only of milk is probably not healthy, but a little bit once in awhile should be okay. I never give it to my adult cats, I would just give it to kittens when they were small and sometimes mix it with dry food to make it moist.

CatFour, May 7, 2013
  3. messlisa

messlisa Member

I found it strange how when you think of cats, milk always comes to mind. I never dreamed that it could harm them. I have always given my cats milk, but now I substitute it.

messlisa, May 8, 2013
  4. messlisa

jules Active Member

My cat just comes after my cup of milk actually. I never really realised it was bad for cats. My cat is usually so picky and whenever it likes something, I do like to give it to him. I guess I just have to keep the milk out of reach.

jules, May 31, 2013
  5. messlisa

Trellum Well-Known Member

I learnt milk wasn't good for cats a while ago, it's kinda odd... because I was taught the only thing you should feed a small cat was milk. I found out that milk is actually bad for them some years ago; they can't digest it that well. I must say I see the logic behind it, because I can barely handle cow's milk as well! My cat doesn't drink milk anymore, now all he eats is cat food :)

Trellum, Sep 28, 2013
  6. messlisa

steph84 Well-Known Member

I knew it was unhealthy for cats when I saw how unhealthy it was for humans. It is meant to nourish a baby cow, not a baby human or a cat. It's weird to think of this interspecies milk drinking. I think the food industry just likes to push dairy on people to turn a profit. They also like to say we need it for our bones, but you can take a calcium supplement or get calcium through vegetables.

steph84, Oct 10, 2013
  7. messlisa

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually can't handle cow's milk that well... when you think about it, yeah, it's gross we are drinking that. Plus, it isn't like it's that great. But for some reason they really like it in the Netherlands... I'll be going there on january. Apparently they're the biggest consumers of this product in the world, some people say that's the reason most dutch people are so tall.

Trellum, Oct 13, 2013
Ask a Question