Meow the obese cat has died

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jessi, May 10, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://laughingsquid.com/meow-the-obese-cat-has-died

So, so sad. :( I hate to hear about people letting their pets get so overweight and obese that they are riddled with health issues that end up killing them. :(

Jessi, May 10, 2012
  2. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think I must let my sister read this. She has a black cat which she calls Black Bean. And Black Bean is going to get to look like Meow if she doesn't do something soon.

Victor Leigh, May 10, 2012
  3. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

Oh my God... That's terrible :(

violino, May 10, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

You should, no doubt. I think it's awful how people seem to find it cute sometimes, too. Like... "Aww, what a fat cat!" No....it's not cute. They're dying inside. :S

Jessi, May 10, 2012
  5. Jessi

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

That is so sad. The last cat I had was overweight a little but nothing like this. I wonder why some cats are prone to over eating.

HappyRocinante, May 11, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's about being prone to overeating so much as it is owners encouraging it sometimes. Instead of giving set amounts of food at set times, they're given foods all day long. They're given treats constantly or table scraps instead of healthy foods. And if they're not exercising either, or have undiagnosed health issues, it only makes it worse.

Jessi, May 12, 2012
  7. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

Poor Meow :( My cat has dry food available all day long, but she never overeats like a dog would...

btatro, May 29, 2012
  8. Jessi

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

Wow this is terrible! No one should let their pet get this big. It's really unhealthy and obviously the cat isn't happy being that big. It's really difficult on their legs since they only have small legs. I feel so bad for that cat :(

BeautifulAngel, Jun 21, 2012
  9. Jessi

I totally agree with you about that. The unfortunate part is that many people let themselves to get that fat, too. And they cannot pass the blame to anyone else for their condition.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  10. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

I remember Meow made the news here in New Zealand a few weeks ago at first just because the foster home and vets were hoping to put her on a diet to slim her down to a healthy weight gradually. She made the news again when she passed away seemingly days later. Like the rest of you I feel really sorry for Meow. It's hard to believe that anyone would overfeed their pet and to let it get so unhealthy. :( Surely you'd feel guilty about your actions?

As for fat people Victor Leigh, there are some medical conditions that make it really difficult for some people to lose weight e.g thryoid ect..

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  11. Jessi

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

:( RIP Meow!

Micheleteresa, Jun 24, 2012
  12. Jessi

Yes, that's true. Some people are medically unable to reduce weight but they are in the minority. The majority of people who are fat are like that because they are not taking care of themselves. I read somewhere that some fat people even feel good about their size because there are people fatter than them.

Victor Leigh, Jun 26, 2012
    Micheleteresa and tajnz like this.
  13. Jessi

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

ohhhh I know all about that "some people feel good about their size because there are people fatter than them" I have a friend who is always asking "is she fatter than I am or is my butt as big as hers?" Its annoying , who cares about someone else! If you need to make changes for yourself, for your appearance and for your health, just do it and stop using "at least I am not as big as her/him" as a momentary ego boost.

And yes, there are medical reasons that some may have a hard time with losing or even gaining weight but hopefully doctor supervision can help manage this and is a very different issue than those who can, but do not put in any effort, to staying a healthy weight.

Micheleteresa, Jun 30, 2012
  14. Jessi

Now I wonder how cats feel when they see other cats which are fatter than them. I wonder if animals have any sense of the meaning of fat. What do you think?

Victor Leigh, Jul 1, 2012
  15. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I really doubt they do. I know dogs can't even really judge their own size/height often times, so cats may be the same. In terms of being overweight, they probably don't have an understanding of that at all.

Jessi, Jul 1, 2012
  16. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I saw a news segment last week about the passing of Meow the obese cat ,and the news segment said that more and more vets are seeing cats and dogs that are at an unhealthy weight because there is an obesity epidemic in humans in America and people feed their pets as they would a family member.

So the overweight pets are a reflection of their owners and the human obesity epidemic is becoming the pet obesity epidemic.

Unfortunately, someone who doesn't get much exercise and eats convenience foods is not likely to exercise their pet or monitor how much it eats.

ACSAPA, Jul 13, 2012
  17. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

Yeah, but as we, I think, said before. It's easy to make your dog overweight but it's not that easy with a cat. As cats don't usually eat everyghing you give them. Unless they are a stray, street cats.
    So okay, the cats put on weight after they're sterilized but not that much and therefore it's not from eating but from hormones.

violino, Jul 13, 2012
  18. Jessi

dashboardc33 Active Member

I have a friend with an overweight cat. This cat isn't quite as big as the one here, but it is still obese. He will feed his cat anything off his plate and his food dish is always empty. I think they just keep refilling it whenever it is gone. It is important to know that feeding your cat junk food, just like humans, can cause obesity. It is sad when people let their pet get this big.

dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012
Ask a Question