Mealtimes

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Does your cat have a regular meal schedule? Or do they just have a bowl of food they can "graze" from whenever they please? If they have mealtimes, do you take away whatever they have not eaten once they seem to walk away? We always had meal times for our cat: we read that just letting them "graze" throughout the day is bad for their digestion. Much like for a human, really!

GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

mariposa Well-Known Member

I never let food out for her to graze, no... I suspect she'd never stop. :) So she gets breakfast early when we get up and then she more or less lets me know throughout the day when she's hungry.

mariposa, May 12, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

steph84 Well-Known Member

I feed my cats as soon as I get up/before I get to work and once again in the evening. They love it when I leave food out all day, but then I noticed that they were getting chubbier so I had to stop doing that and get on a regular feeding schedule.

steph84, May 18, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I fill their bowls twice a day, once when I get up in the morning and once before I go to bed. I actually do leave them out all day! The bowls they eat out of are tiny and they haven't had any weight issues, so it's much easier for us this way. Sometimes I wake up late and it's nice that there is still food in the bowl from the night before. Both of my cats eat what they need to stay full and leave the rest be.

It's funny, though, they still come a-running every time they hear filling the bowls back up, no matter if they were only half-empty before I added more or not.

blurinoctober, May 18, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

Lilly&May Member

I have multiple cats and I have a food bowl with dry food in it at all times so that they can graze but they all also get fed some wet food around 7 in the morning and again around 5 at night. So I do both because 2 of my cats eat the dry food on a regular basis and the other 2 only eat in once in a while. I do not like to pretend that I know when they are hungry, every cat is different so I let them choose. And I don't go through a tremendous amount of dry food like you would think.

Lilly&May, May 28, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

jose26425 Member

I feed my cats before leaving for work in the morning and again during the mid-evening. I have two cats that are bottomless pits and I learned this the hard way. I used to let them graze, but found out later that they were gorging themselves on their food, resulting in throw up all over the house. I don't know if this is common or whether my cats are just fat :)

jose26425, Jun 15, 2013
  7. GavinMcresty

Trellum Well-Known Member

No, I don't like the idea of leaving food for my cat so he can eat whenever he wants. I'm really afraid that food might attract other pests... last time I had a huge issue with rats! Just last july I was surprised by one! I don't like Bob to touch those things tho, I just just don't feel ok with that. I live next to an abandoned place that is filled with rats... so they're always searching for food. I prefer to feed Bob when I wake up, and a bit before going to bed. He usually lets me know when he is hungry or if he needs more food.

Trellum, Nov 24, 2013
Ask a Question