Make your own cat toys

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cat-Toys

Personally, my cats will play with whatever so I don't feel the need to buy ones that look like mice and whatnot. The link has 10 different toys that you can make that are a little more special than a ball of yarn, though. I think it'd be a great project for kids to do, too.

Jessi, Jun 12, 2012
  2. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

Wow thanks for sharing such a useful link. I must admit I've never considered making my own cat toys before, although I love arts and crafts.

My favorite idea was using old tennis balls to make bird prey. :) My dad's side of the family are tennis fannatics and so we have lots of tennis balls stacked away in the spare room. What a good way to recycle them!

tajnz, Jun 13, 2012
  3. Jessi

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

Thanks Jessi, those are some really cute ideas. I thought it was funny how they mentioned not to leave string and such down since your cat can become entangled in it. My cats seem to think it is "What's for dinner." :D I don't know how many times I have caught Ninja eating sting or rubber bands that he somehow managed to find. I swear that cat was a dog in a former life.

HappyRocinante, Jun 13, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm not even too concerned about them getting tangled up in it. I'm actually more nervous about them eating too much of it and it getting ingested to cause issues. Ew. I don't think that's a common issue at all, though, and my cats would be disappointed if I took away string/yarn/etc.

Jessi, Jun 13, 2012
  5. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Love the idea Jessi! All my cats love me to make them any type cat toy that is made with any type of swinging like items wrapped around a spool of thread or other great items. They love to chase the made toy, and try to keep it from the other cats, or once in a while they'll enjoy just joining in.

Jenny Heart, Jun 13, 2012
  6. Jessi

TabithaW Member

My cats play with anything and everything too. Their very favorite toy is the band you pull of the gallon milk jug. Not the lid (though they will take that too) the stringy band you pull of first.

TabithaW, Jun 14, 2012
  7. Jessi

Yes, my cat's like those too. I have learned not to give those plastic pieces to my cats however because Ninja thinks he is part dog and tries to eat them! He is so sad! Mouth loves to play with the little rings that help seal the jugs - the full ring not the one you peel off some of them. I haven't seen Ninja try to eat one of those yet but I am keeping my eye on him.

HappyRocinante, Jun 17, 2012
  8. Jessi

TabithaW Member

Oh dear. You wouldn't want your cat eating plastic. That is a bit odd. Cats don't normally chew on things like that. Is it a young cat?

TabithaW, Jun 17, 2012
  9. Jessi

No, both my kitties will be 2 years old in October. They are just odd balls I think. ;) I even got them some dog toys, those little rawhide, for Ninja to chew on but he doesn't like them as much. Plastic just must taste good to him. But I keep a pretty good eye on him after I saw him chewing up the first one. I make sure all the plastic parts go into the trash. Except for the ones Mouth likes to play with. I haven't seen Ninja do anything but play with those yet.

HappyRocinante, Jun 17, 2012
  10. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the link, Jessi. School holiday is just around the corner and we'll probably have the kids over for a couple of weeks. It would be a great time to make those toys for the cats. For Zopie, I recently grab a ribbon, cut a piece of paper and tied the paper to the ribbon. He seems to enjoy it. The other toys that I bought for Snowy and Azzario, he doesn't like to play with them. He played for a couple of minutes and then, he would play with his big marble or the ribbon.

Mystique, Jun 18, 2012
  11. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have a new kitty and he loves all things plastic and foil! All of my other cats absolutely hated foil, but this cat just loves balls of foil and goes nuts chasing them around the house.

steph84, Jun 18, 2012
  12. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

Haha. Yeah, I think some cats are just easy. Roll a piece of paper, throw it in the air, and my cats will be jumping and running after it! If only I could understand what they are meowing about sometimes, especially Zopie.

Mystique, Jun 19, 2012
Ask a Question