Make sure to feed your cat right!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by catlover2, Oct 7, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Making sure you feed your cats and kittens is essential. Cats need Taurine to keep a healthy heart and eyes. They also need vitamin A and arachidonic acid, a vital component of cell membranes. They usually get this in the wild from other animal sources. So make sure you cats are getting these like they would in the wild.

catlover2, Oct 7, 2010
    Liliana P. likes this.
  2. catlover2

Liliana P. Member

Hi, Catlover2. How do you make sure they get Taurine, A vitamin and arachidonic acid? Is there a specific product you use? Thank you!

Liliana P., Dec 7, 2014
  3. catlover2

Aymes Member

Hey Liliana! Cats are unable to produce taurine from other amino acids. Luckily taurine is included in all cat foods that you can buy. As long as your cat eats a formulated cat food it should be fine. I would be concerned if you feed your cat a home made diet. These diets might not contain the appropriate amount of taurine. Cats need 500mg per kg of taurine daily. It's hard to overdose because excess taurine would just be excreted and not stored. Let me know if you need help calculating an appropriate dose of taurine for you cat!

Aymes, Dec 13, 2014
  4. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, catlover. I've been owning a cat for very long, but I honestly don't know much about animal, specially cat nutrition. Thanks for the info! I'll make sure my cat gets what he needs!

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
Ask a Question