Litter training

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by GavinMcresty, May 7, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how people litter trained their cat. Our cat basically just worked it out for herself so we never trained her asuch. Did you have the same experience with your cat?

GavinMcresty, May 7, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

messlisa Member

All of my cats all trained themselves, but I have heard other cat owners talk about their litter training horror stories, which makes me even more grateful for not having to deal with this issue.

messlisa, May 7, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

CatFour Active Member

I have never had any problem with that, they just knew what to do. I think when they were kittens I might have put them in the litter box right after they ate, just to let them know where to go. Thankfully they have always went to the bathroom where they were supposed to.

CatFour, May 7, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

mariposa Well-Known Member

We never had to do much at all... she just instinctively knew what to do and when to do it. My husband *did* put her in the box a few times at first and even "scratched" the litter with her paw, but I only remember him doing that a time or two and then she just started doing it on her own.

mariposa, May 8, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Yup! I have never had a cat who didn't figure out the litterbox itself. I just made sure I showed them where it was when I brought them home, made sure it was the right size for them, and let it be. I had a little bit of issues with Sibyl marking her territory when we moved, but that had nothing to do with her inability to use the litterbox. It was all because there were a bunch of strange dogs in this strange new house and she wanted to assert what she thought was hers. I got that to stop, though, and everything's been fine!

blurinoctober, May 25, 2013
Ask a Question